Anyone seen cases like this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been cleaning some .44 mag brass for a friend of mine. I noticed that some of the brass had this ring around them and the upper portion of them are a little extra corroded. Has anyone seen brass like this? Any reason to be worried about it?
20210123_201538.jpg
20210123_201526.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vaguely recall seeing brass with that cannelure back when I was reloading. That was a long time ago, but I'm pretty sure it would've been PMC .44Mag brass (I only loaded .44Mag and 10mm, and I mostly shot PMC 240gr TCSP .44Mag factory loads, so that was most of the brass I had). I don't recall the odd corrosion or discoloration, but that was 25 years ago, and I don't recall anything peculiar about the cannelure.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Will it stick to a magnet? Someone posted pics of some 9mm cases with a similar ring, and they are supposedly a two piece case, one part is steel to facilitate picking them up with a large magnet.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nah, just real low powered reloads, no enough powder to create enough pressure to expand the case right away, heck even some factory ammo does this in 44 spl. And 45 Colt. No worries!!
I noticed the same on some 45 ACP lead mouse farts I loaded for steel.

Thanks for that info

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It wasn't loaded with black powder ya think. I've seen corrosion like that from black powder..
It has also been seen with low-power smokeless-powder hand loads. As explained in a previous post, the cases expand less with low-power loads, and the scorching seen in the OP is the result.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't believe they were loaded with black powder. I THINK they were factory loads, only because I don't know that my friends has shot any reloads on his 44 before but I'm not positive.

Also, no, they aren't magnetic. They are all brass. I just thought they were weird looking with the cannelure (?) ring and the extra corrosion. I'll have to ask him where he got them.

He's just now wanting to get into reloading, which is why I'm cleaning the brass for him. Now he just needs to find large pistol primers. [emoji38]

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no expert but in 38 special the ring brass can be used for wadcutters, the cannelure is used to hold the fully enclosed bullet in place. I have seen the cannerlure on other calibers of brass, I am assuming to help with bullet set back/

Latest posts

Top Bottom