AOW shotguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take a look at the Remington 870MCS...Factory AOW and 4 shots (up to 3").

i29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_870_1.jpg

firewire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just about ready to get my AOW Shotty (hopefully Monday trust will be finished). Machine Guns Plus sold their last Serbu Shorty. Any other dealers in OKC have them? Specifically the Remington 870 version. Cold Hand has there own (11"), but I really want the shorter length and a front grip. Or the Safety Harbor Firearms KEG12.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm lost on the cost issue. I can either buy an AOW registered shotgun pistol for 800 bucks and it transfers for 5 bucks for a total of 805 dollars ( I know I didn't include taxes), or I can buy a Remington 870 for 300 and build an SBS with a pistol grip for a 200 stamp, for a total of 500 bucks spent. I'm not sure the new math on the AOWs is adding up. That's like buying a 700 dollar AR for 2K. I know lots of people do it, it's just not good financial sense.

firewire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally understand your point! This is purely a fun range toy that I have been lusting after for years. It became a quest! lol.

As for the SBS, I looked into that heavily over the last few weeks and nobody I found could replicate the foregrip like Serbu and Safety harbor has done for any less. 870's are up to at least $350 now, plus $200 stamp, plus $300-$375 in labor quotes put the Serbu as a better option IMHO for overall price and Serbu's experienced build instead of a "one off". If I could have found an 870 PGO that was another option to keep it a $5 stamp, but again, those are above $400 now and I was still left with no solid option on a vertical foregrip. Plus it is parkerized, which a local builder could cerakote or something, but again an added expense.

Now that I have already purchased this, I think someone could mill a block for the mag tube and make a picatinny rail on the bottom for a grip such as this 1990's AOW:
ForegripBlock.jpg

Just for a reference, this is what a $600 build locally would get me. A Mossberg 500 with a horizontal foregrip.
View attachment 25594

I found a seller online for the Serbu 6.5" Rem 870 delivered for $799. Las Vegas area seems to have quite a few of these. :)
View attachment 25595

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'm lost on the cost issue. I can either buy an AOW registered shotgun pistol for 800 bucks and it transfers for 5 bucks for a total of 805 dollars ( I know I didn't include taxes), or I can buy a Remington 870 for 300 and build an SBS with a pistol grip for a 200 stamp, for a total of 500 bucks spent. I'm not sure the new math on the AOWs is adding up. That's like buying a 700 dollar AR for 2K. I know lots of people do it, it's just not good financial sense.

There's more to add to the $300 870 to make it equal.

One other difference - and this is the Class III difference - is that on the AOW you can never put a stock on it - without paying the $200 tax for an SBS.

If you build it as an SBS, then you can add a stock later.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's more to add to the $300 870 to make it equal.

One other difference - and this is the Class III difference - is that on the AOW you can never put a stock on it - without paying the $200 tax for an SBS.

If you build it as an SBS, then you can add a stock later.

I am assuming you are looking at the $300 870 as being an express, and not having the metal triggerguard, different bolt etc? I have found some wingmasters and police magnums for under 300, some even under 250, then my form 1, and then purchase a 14 in barrel, so probably just over 600 for a plain 14in. Would probably do magpul furniture, hadnt seen that done yet. So for 750, a 14in Police Magnum, magpulled out. Might still be cheaper to go with Steve's Hall Sweeper and swap barrel out for 14in, depending on the internals, if its an express on the inside, I'd do it my way, especially if to get it down to 11in the mag tube were cut.

pbaumei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are the legal ramifications of obtaining an AOW stamp? do you give good old uncle SAM any permissions to inspect weapon or search premesis where weapon is stored etc...

Is that the case as with an NFA stamp for an SBR, Silencer, or full auto weapon?

Not sure if anyone was versed on that aspect, and could give me the cliff notes version. thx.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what are the legal ramifications of obtaining an AOW stamp? do you give good old uncle SAM any permissions to inspect weapon or search premesis where weapon is stored etc...

Is that the case as with an NFA stamp for an SBR, Silencer, or full auto weapon?

Not sure if anyone was versed on that aspect, and could give me the cliff notes version. thx.

Procedure for obtaing an AOW is exactly the same as for any other NFA weapon except for the cost (AOW's transfer for $5).

As for allowing ATF in your house, that is a common myth. Owning any NFA item does NOT give ATF the ability to search your house or location you have the weapon stored. They can request to see the weapon and paperwork, but you can bring it to them. Myself and several others have owned NFA weapons for over 20 years and we know of no time this has happened to anyone.