Appleseed at Banner (Yukon/El Reno) March 26-27, 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
henschman: What are your thoughts on a .308 bolt action for this event? With close supervision by myself, would my 9 year and his .22 rifle be welcome (he has shot many times on the range before)?

ZO6 man pretty well summed it up. You can shoot your .308, but unless it takes stripper clips or detachable mags, it will make it harder to score expert on the AQT, since a couple of the stages involve forced reloads under significant time pressure. Loading rounds individually from the top slows you down. Not to say that it can't be done... there are folks who have scored Expert doing it this way (including yours truly, with a K31)! Just be aware it will be more of an uphill battle than with a mag or clip fed rifle. If you want, you can borrow a .22 liberty training rifle from an instructor for most of the shooting, and just bring out the .308 for a few courses of fire to get a good zero and see how you do with it. It might save you some money to use that .22. Or, depending on what type of ammo you have, if you are dead set on burning up 400 rounds of .308, you can borrow my M1A! Anyone who wants to shoot the whole event with center fire has my full support!

And definitely bring the kiddo... they are what this program is all about, when you get right down to it. Passing the heritage on to future generations.

And Z06... you should come too. We have a nice fancy orange hat with your name on it. I mean, you're already giving advice to prospective students, so you might as well!

Hello henschman,
I'm interested in attending. I looked at the web page to sign up for tickets and I understand there are still tickets left?
I also understand that an AR-15 with iron sights will do? Also, how about an AR with a red dot and flip up iron sights? Can someone bring more than 1 rifle, say 2 AR's and a Ruger 10/22?
I also noticed "FREE Sat & Sun Active Military, Reserve, and Guard w/ ID, Peace Officers (w/ ID), Disabled (w/ ID), Re-enactors in period dress, Elected officials (w/proof)", how does an individual
that has a service connected disabilty fit in with the disabled part, if they have their VA ID?

Thank you

Oh heck yes, bring all those AR's with whatever optics setups you want. It will be great... you will be able to get a good battle sight zero on both irons and optics. We encourage shooters who have both to do that, actually. And definitely bring the .22s, too. If you want to save money, you can do like what I suggested to jd138... use the .22s for most of the instruction and drills while practicing the fundamentals, and then when we get into the AQTs, you can bring out the EBR's. If you can scare up an M-1 and M-14 issue GI web sling or two for those rifles before the event, it will help you out. You can get them off e-bay or the appleseed website. The Rugers will need 1 1/4" sling swivels to mount them up.

TOWNHERO

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think it says something. I have to go home and check, but it really doesn't matter. It's old, I got it over 20 years ago.
I've been reading about Appleseed on your web page. It's sounds like it would be 2 days of fun and it would give me something to
do for that weekend and get me out of the house.
When do you pay, at Registration or at the range?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like we have 12 people currently registered, and at least one walk-on confirmed. There is still plenty of room for more shooters. Online registration closes on Friday, so get signed up today or tomorrow. Or you can always just show up and pay the walk-on fee ($5 per day).

Let me know if you need anything. My cell is 405-880-0506.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on taking my M&P 15-22 and my AR-15.

How many rounds should I bring for each?

Also, will the Magpul rear sight be OK on the AR, or should I put my carry handle back on the AR to use?

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would bring a brick of whatever flavor of .22 LR your M&P likes. If you bring at least 400 rounds you will be good to go even if the .22 is all you end up shooting this weekend. As for 5.56, I'd just say bring however much you can afford to burn up!

As for your rear sight, I would bring whatever you think you will be actually using on the rifle. The Magpul would be fine, especially since we will not be shooting full distance at this event. The carry handle is nice for shooting out past 300m, since it has elevation adjustment with markings for 5.56 ball, so maybe you should bring that if you want to come to Grandfield with us on April 30-May 1. But for 25m shooting the Magpul will work just fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom