Appleseed at Banner (Yukon/El Reno) March 26-27, 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man ... no kidding ... I think it is colder today than yesterday.

At least the wind doesn't seem to be as bad ... hope everybody else is having a good time!!

Holy cow was it colder! Car guage said 35 when we ended up leaving at 1000. Mason's little feet just couldn't hack it....once he said they were going numb I knew it was time to bail out.

Day 2 at Appleseed, another cold one. I thought Winterseed had already happened! LOL! :freezing:

So after giving the iron sites a go yesterday, I put on the red dot today. It was a world of difference for my bad eyes. I got a 185 on the AQT, which gives me a baseline to gauge my progress from.

Even though it was cold, I did make progress working with establishing my Natural Point Of Aim (NPOA) and I went slower today concentrating on my breathing and NPOA working in concert.

So 2nd day was definitely worth going back to for me. All the instructors were great and I got to meet some good "shooter" folks as well.

Looking forward to going to another one down the road, maybe a little better weather would be nice.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made it home about an hour ago. Had a great time and learned a lot. The wind wasn't nearly as bad today as Saturday and I think the temperature soared to 36 by lunch time. Despite the weather it was a great experience and I met some awesome people. Looking forward to attending another one.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So after giving the iron sites a go yesterday, I put on the red dot today. It was a world of difference for my bad eyes. I got a 185 on the AQT, which gives me a baseline to gauge my progress from.

That's pretty good foghorn. Told you that you weren't as far behind the curve as you thought!

Made it home about an hour ago. Had a great time and learned a lot. The wind wasn't nearly as bad today as Saturday and I think the temperature soared to 36 by lunch time. Despite the weather it was a great experience and I met some awesome people. Looking forward to attending another one.

Hope your brother's feeling better...forgot to ask, he didn't eat any of BadgeBunny's baked goods did he? LOL!

glock girl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Day 2 at Appleseed, another cold one. I thought Winterseed had already happened! LOL! :freezing:

Even though it was cold, I did make progress working with establishing my Natural Point Of Aim (NPOA) and I went slower today concentrating on my breathing and NPOA working in concert.

So 2nd day was definitely worth going back to for me. All the instructors were great and I got to meet some good "shooter" folks as well.

Looking forward to going to another one down the road, maybe a little better weather would be nice.

I don't know WHAT the deal is with appleseeds being COLD on the second day! We only lasted until about 11AM on Sunday at the Appleseed in early Feb in Afton. BRRRRR.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hope your brother's feeling better...forgot to ask, he didn't eat any of BadgeBunny's baked goods did he? LOL!

LOL. Still a little swollen but ok. THanks for asking. I'll have to ask him about BB's cupcakes. Talked to him last night and he's ready to go to Grandfield. I saw them and thought they looked really good but didn't realize they were for everyone or I would have had some. Also disappointed I didn't get to meet the infamous BadgeBunny.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yet another great event! It sure was nice to meet some of you and put faces with screen names.

It was cold and overcast the whole weekend, and we even got a little light precipitation on Sunday. Temps were mostly in the 30s, maybe getting up to the 40s on Sunday afternoon. There was a steady 10-15 mph wind blowing most of the weekend. While the weather left something to be desired, the shooters were great. Safety was very good overall, with only a few minor violations that were corrected quickly by the instructors.

I appologize for showing up late on Saturday morning... despite setting two alarms, I didn't wake up. My fellow instructors did a great job getting everyone registered and starting the safety briefing though. Sorry I missed you, BadgeBunny. I'm sure I'll run into you one of these days. The goodies you brought were excellent... you are welcome on my firing line any time as long as you bring snacks! ;)

All the shooters showed improvement... some of them quite a bit. Congrats to our two Riflemen, SMS and oneof79. They both scored Expert on the second AQT we shot on Saturday afternoon, and they both did it with the same score (210 out of a possible 250). Anyone who shoots a Rifleman's score in that kind of weather certainly deserves the patch. SMS' son also got a special Young Patriot's patch for sticking with it alongside the adults. It was somewhat of a challenge for him to support that rifle with his small body, but he figured out kneeling, cross legged, and prone supported positions that worked for him, and really tightened those groups up.

It was great to meet rawhide and foghorn918, too. Both showed great improvement and were getting awful close to that Expert score.

Don't worry shooters -- we will be scheduling a lot more events. Eventually we will get lucky and land one on a weekend with nice weather. Grandfield on April 30 - May 1 has about as good of a chance as any of being nice. I still need to get Hobart and Tulsa on the schedule, and we will be having plenty more at Afton, which will soon have a 400 yard KD range! Just keep an eye on the schedule at http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=OK&statename=Oklahoma.

Thanks to all the OSA members who made this a great and successful event! I hope to see you all again soon on the firing line or elsewhere.

henschman

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I mentioned before a big thanks to Daniel, Will, and Dale for the great job they did as instructors. The highlight of the weekend for me was SMS's son receiving the Young Patriot's patch. I hope many more children can experience events like this. As President Reagan once said "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction."

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I mentioned before a big thanks to Daniel, Will, and Dale for the great job they did as instructors.

Amen to that. I was a bit apprehensive about bringing my son, since he's still a bit young and, like henschman mentioned, working on some upper body strength.

The instructors competence and calm demeanor put that apprension to rest....Great program and great folks(shooters and instructors).

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are some pics from the weekend:

aappleseedinfo_org_smf_index_php_c8d467d7b597315487259044fbd20786._.jpg

aappleseedinfo_org_smf_index_php_e6ee6506040faa6d4d5e270011037a37._.jpg

aappleseedinfo_org_smf_index_php_e5ec85acc5f649523b3e80ab431447bf._.jpg

aappleseedinfo_org_smf_index_php_e5ec85acc5f649523b3e80ab431447bf._.jpg

aappleseedinfo_org_smf_index_php_b2bb574c09a709a6d16cfc88cf740aed._.jpg

aappleseedinfo_org_smf_index_php_009389cf8d231f402348f12552368e0e._.jpg

aappleseedinfo_org_smf_index_php_99f7b45fd985371e64d9362f01755469._.jpg