Appleseed at USSA in Tulsa, April 7-8, 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Greetings shooters!

I am happy to announce that Project Appleseed has been invited to the U.S. Shooting Academy in Tulsa, to hold a 2-day rifle marksmanship clinic on April 7-8, 2012. We will have plenty of room for our 25m firing line on USSA's one-of-a-kind 360 degree shooting range. On Sunday, full distance shooting will be conducted on USSA's 300m rifle range. Don't miss this opportunity to enjoy the Appleseed experience at a world-class facility, conveniently located in the Tulsa metro area.

You will not find a better course on the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship than Appleseed. Shooters of all skill levels, from beginner to expert, will benefit from solid instruction and coaching in the fundamentals from field positions, and will have the chance to see how they stack up to the challenge of the Army Qualification Test. Shooters who score Expert on the AQT will be honored with Appleseed's coveted Rifleman Patch. Since Appleseed is a volunteer organization, we are able to keep our fees low. Regular fees for the weekend are $70. Women only pay $10, and children only pay $5. Active duty military and current guard or reserve members, law enforcement officers, disabled shooters, and elected officials are free. USSA is charging all shooters a range fee -- $15 for members, and $10 for non-members. We also have lower one-day fees for shooters who are only able to attend for one of the days.

Appleseed is dedicated to preserving America's unique heritage of marksmanship, which has been part and parcel of our heritage of LIBERTY since the before the founding of our nation. To that end, we not only teach rifle marksmanship, but we also remember our forefathers by telling the amazing story of April 19, 1775 -- the day the Revolutionary War began -- at every Appleseed. Unfortunately, this is a story that is all too often glossed over in textbooks, and which most Americans have never heard.

Appleseed is designed to teach all the skills necessary for a shooter to control the "Rifleman's Quarter Mile." This means the ability to hit man-sized targets out to 500 yards from field positions. Most of the fundamentals are taught on the 25m firing line. This allows either center fire or rimfire rifles to be used (or both). Those who bring a center fire rifle and show adequate mastery of the fundamentals at 25m will be invited to shoot on the 300m rifle range on Sunday afternoon; while those who wish to continue to try to qualify at 25m will be welcome to do so.

Any type of rifle is welcome at Appleseed -- however, some stages of the Army Qual. Test involve mandatory reloads and significant time pressure. A semi-auto with detachable magazines is ideal. Bolt action rifles are fine too as long as they can be reloaded quickly, such as with stripper clips or detachable mags. We also have a "simulated reload" procedure that allows tube feed rifles to be used. Also, the use of the sling as a marksmanship aid is a big part of the instruction, so shooters are highly encouraged to bring a rifle fitted with an adjustable sling of some sort (preferably an M1/M14 GI web sling or a 1907 leather sling).

No matter what type of rifle you have or what type of shooting you do, you will benefit from this course on the fundamentals. Appleseed will make you a better hunter, competitor, or defender of life and liberty.

Thanks to USSA for supporting the mission of restoring our nation's proud heritage of rifle marksmanship.

Here is the link to the Event Info Page, which contains the registration link: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=28178.0

Feel free to contact me with any questions. PM me on this forum, e-mail me at [email protected]., or call me on my cell at 4o5 88o o5o6. My name is Daniel.

See you on the firing line!

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can't make it Sunday, feel free to sign up for just Saturday. The registration fee for one day is only $45. All the skills are taught on Saturday, and we should get a few AQTs in at the end of the day to give everybody a chance to qualify. On Sunday, we will run more drills to further hone those fundamentals, we will shoot a lot of AQTs, and we will shoot full distance out to 300m.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What type of firearm is best to take? I think a .22 would be cheapest. I am not sure if I want to shoot centerfire all day.

They do recommend a .22....but any autoloader will do, if you can afford to shoot it all weekend!

Add a GI sling and some good irons sights and have a great weekend.

It's a great course.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
KOPBET, that would be a great idea. that way you're squeezing the same trigger as your center fire, which makes for good muscle memory.

There's nothing wrong with shooting center fire all weekend... we actually encourage you to do this if you can afford it. If not, a .22 is great. We do most of our shooting at 25m, which a .22 works just fine for. One thing I encourage people to do if they want to qualify with a center fire but can't afford a whole weekend's worth of ammo is to bring a .22 to use for most of the event, and then only bring your center fire out after you've shot Expert with the .22, and try to qualify with it too. If you don't have the fundamentals down well enough to shoot Expert with the .22, it really doesn't make much sense to be burning up center fire ammo anyway. But once you do, it's just a matter of seeing how those same fundamentals transfer over to your center fire. FYI it takes 40 rounds to shoot through an AQT, whether it's the 25m version or the full distance one.

The ammo costs saved by shooting a .22 are a wonderful way to justify buying another rifle, which is easily justified to your significant other: "See honey, it pays for itself if I take it to one Appleseed!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom