Appleseed Rifle Class Oct 11-12 at Bone Creek Gun Club near Pittsburg, KS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lomshek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bone Creek Gun Club is hosting a two day rifle class October 11th & 12th. Instructors will teach participants the basics of shooting from unsupported positions (standing, kneeling, sitting & prone) and proper use of a sling to stabilize the rifle.

The firing line at our last one.
i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_28_29_20Sep_202013_20Appleseed_IMG_0640.jpg

The class is run Saturday & Sunday from 9 AM – 5 PM.
Two days of training cost $60 for adults & $20 for anyone under 18.
One day prices are $40 for adults or $15 if under 18. LEO’s, all military and elected officials shoot free!
Expected round count is 100 – 200 rounds each day. Ultimate round count depends on how fast the class moves so bring lots!

Think you're too good to waste the money or time? If you qualify as a Rifleman (Expert) with a score of 210 or greater on the first AQT on Saturday Appleseed will refund your entry fee. We might also ask you to volunteer as a future instructor!

Here are some helpful links.
Appleseed home page
Online registration
How to prep for an Appleseed

Here’s the group checking out their targets at a previous AS we hosted.
i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_28_29_20Sep_202013_20Appleseed_IMG_0619.jpg

All shooting will be done on miniature targets at 25 yards that represent shots of 100 – 400 yards. Any kind of gun is welcome but semi-autos with peep sights or scopes and removable magazines work best. The short distance makes rimfires like Ruger’s 10/22 an excellent budget training rifle. .22LR rifles work great but centerfire rifles are welcome if you can afford to feed them! Many shooters will also use AR-15’s with .22 conversion kits.

200 meters prone after spending a day at 25 meters.
i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_28_29_20Sep_202013_20Appleseed_IMG_0686.jpg

Comfort gear – Foam camping pad, water, snacks, lunch, chair, sunscreen.
We’ll spend time shooting from standing, kneeling, sitting and prone so wear clothes you’re comfortable moving around in. Your foam pad will be on a concrete floor and you’ll be standing, sitting or kneeling on it much of the day so DO NOT bring an inflatable pad (it will break).

The kids & ladies of Appleseed!
i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_28_29_20Sep_202013_20Appleseed_IMG_0647.jpg

i190.photobucket.com_albums_z67_bonecreekgunclub_28_29_20Sep_202013_20Appleseed_IMG_0648.jpg

Facility – BCGC has a concrete pad and roof on the firing line that will accommodate 30 shooters. We have porta potties and that’s it. If you want water, food, chairs or anything else bring it with you. Check the weather forecast and pack accordingly.

Here’s a list of hotels in the Pittsburg area if you need to stay overnight.

Hope you can make it!

Note - I know there's always controversy about the Appleseed organization. This is not the thread to discuss that. We host (at no charge) Appleseed and similar training because Bone Creek Gun Club believes in encouraging competent gun ownership for people of all ages, sexes, politics and beliefs. That is all.

Last edited:

Lomshek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
LEOs and elected officials shoot for free? Why?
How about a break for us peons?

It's been that way since Appleseed started I think. The idea is that these folks tend to be the last to try something like Appleseed (thus the removal of one more obstacle) but also the ones who can most help the Appleseed long term goal of winning the "soft war" (hearts and minds to increase the appreciation of our liberty and the sacrifices it took to get us that liberty) so that we never have to resort to using the Second Amendment.

If a sheriff, county commissioner, mayor or other "person of influence" have attended an Appleseed chances are they'll come away with a much deeper appreciation of what our founders sacrificed to give us this nation and less likely to accept overreaching federal edicts into all facets of our lives. How awesome would that be!

Unfortunately we don't get too many elected officials so it's not like half the line is shooting for free. We do get a few lower level LEO's and a decent military representation. Personally if it helps our soldiers stay safer and gives them and the cops a little background into the origins of our heritage I'm OK with helping to underwrite that. Just think. Some day the patrol cop might be a chief and the E-4 could become an E-9.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just gonna say that I've been to an Appleseed and if anyone thinks they are over-priced, even at the "peon price" then they don't have a clue what rifle shooting is all about. The ladies used to get to shoot free also. I "paid" for my entry fee by making sure there were enough muffins there for the entire group (not just the instructors but EVERYONE) to have muffins for breakfast -- both days ... IIRC, henchman and his darling bride even got to take a few home with them ... :P

Go! You will NOT be sorry ...

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a great range and a great crew to shoot with. I mean, how often do you get a completely covered firing line at an Appleseed?! ;) nowhere in Oklahoma, that's for sure. I have been to a few Appleseeds up in Pittsburg, and always have a great time with Roger and his crew. They are all top notch. If you have never had any systematic instruction with a rifle, you will be amazed at how one or two days of solid instruction will help your shooting. If you have had some training in the past, you will also be surprised at how some coaching by experienced instructors will brush up your skills. Regardless of your skill level, I've never seen anyone NOT learn something from an Appleseed. If nothing else, it is a blast shooting those Army Qualification Tests, and seeing how you stack up with the other shooters. If you know what you're about and shoot Expert, you will walk home with our Rifleman's patch.

When it comes to the discount policy, believe me, there have been many heated discussions within the program over the years on that subject. The founder of the program has always insisted on giving free admission to military and police, because he feels it is especially important to reach them with the program's message of liberty and revolutionary heritage -- we teach the story of the battle of Lexington and Concord at every Appleseed. One of the ideas behind Appleseed is preventing what happened on April 19, 1775 from being necessary again.

ARguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I attended an Appleseed a few years ago, and I agree, it's really good training. I was unaware of the "special discounts" other than for kids. There wern't any muffins, but the instructors seemed to really give good instruction. The history was interesting, and in that light, I'm kind of surprised military and leos get a break. I kno a couple of the instructors there did not seem pro-government at all.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
I attended an Appleseed a few years ago, and I agree, it's really good training. I was unaware of the "special discounts" other than for kids. There wern't any muffins, but the instructors seemed to really give good instruction. The history was interesting, and in that light, I'm kind of surprised military and leos get a break. I kno a couple of the instructors there did not seem pro-government at all.

Too bad you have attended before, or you could take this rifleman's challenge and attend for free:

The Rifleman's Challenge - If you know someone who thinks they're too good to waste time at Appleseed we'll refund their entry fee if they prove it. Anyone who shoots a Rifleman (Expert) score of 210 or better on the first AQT on Saturday will get their entry fee refunded.
This only applies to first time attendees.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every instructor has his own beliefs, and I'm certainly not shy about mine here on the forum, but Appleseed as an organization is neutral on the subject of government. The only politics you should hear about at an Appleseed are Whigs and Torries. The only agenda we have is turning the country into a nation of Riflemen, and making sure Americans know about their revolutionary heritage. If you are on board with those things, we would be glad to have you either on the firing line or as an orange hat.

Lomshek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too bad you have attended before, or you could take this rifleman's challenge and attend for free:

That's something I convinced Fred to let us try to get more experienced shooters to give it a try. So many folks who have "been shooting for years" are convinced that it would be a waste of their time and money they never come out. Everyone loses if they never show up.

If they show up and shoot Rifleman on the first AQT (midway through day 1) they get refunded but still get exposure to Appleseed and probably still pick up a few tips. At the least their exposure to Appleseed might get them to recommend it to shooters who look up to them and if they're willing Appleseed is always looking for more skilled shooters to become instructors.

If they show up and don't make Rifleman their eyes are opened to what can be learned and hopefully they return home after a weekend of training to preach the good word of rifle training and American heritage that Appleseed teaches.

Either way Appleseed (hopefully) gains an experienced shooter who helps spread the word and maybe gains an instructor. That's worth $60.

Latest posts

Top Bottom