Appleseed rifles questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm interested in attending an Appleseed event (or three!) ;)

After reading the comments in the tread about the event held last March at Banner Road I've got some rifle questions.

As of right now I own the following rifles:

Marlin Glenfield Model 60 18 round tube mag. No sling. (RedDot, 4x15 scope or iron sights)

VZ.24 8MM Mauser. 5 round internal magazine. Sling, iron sights.

In the next week I'll have a Hi-Point 9MM Carbine. 10 round mag, no sling, iron sights.

The Marlin would be the most economical to shoot. But having read the comments it sounds like it may not be well suited as it is a pain to load quickly and does not have a sling.

The Mauser is going to be spendy to shoot hundreds of rounds through and has a 5 round stripper clip fed magazine.

The Hi-Point is not in my hands yet so other than the 10 round mag I have no other data.

I could use some suggestions on what may work best for me. I'm also considering the purchase of an SKS eventually.

Thanks.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That Marlin 60 will work fine. They will make allowances for the different loading style. Can you hit a one inch square at 28 yards with it?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto on going with the Marlin...just slap a USGI sling on it. I'd recommend shooting irons until you shoot Rifleman with 'em, then move up to the optics.

Run what you have. No point buying another rifle just for the shoot, unless you just really want to (we've all done that haven't we?).

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That Marlin 60 will work fine. They will make allowances for the different loading style. Can you hit a one inch square at 28 yards with it?
Thanks gang. I was just concerned after reading comments about slow reload times hurting your score. The tube mag rifles were mentioned as slow and harmful to scores.

And I can hit a 1" circle at 21 yards with it.

I'd like to eventually earn that rifleman's patch.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ditto on going with the Marlin...just slap a USGI sling on it. I'd recommend shooting irons until you shoot Rifleman with 'em, then move up to the optics.

Run what you have. No point buying another rifle just for the shoot, unless you just really want to (we've all done that haven't we?).

This. Or someone will let you barrow a 10/22. Definately need the sling. Bottom line, shoot whatever you want and have fun.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll go with the '60

I figured out a way to fast reload the thing. I'll see about getting some sling mounts for the stock. I need to replace the rear sight. This was a gift to me as it had a few small issues. One of which is a broken rear sight.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about fast reloads (easy for me to say right? I used an AR LOL) your first time out. Just worry about the techniques and delivering accurate shots...the rest will come later. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom