AR-15 build or buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you're looking for a bombproof AR for general purpose, home defense, SHTF, etc., a Colt LE6920 is what you want, and it's not even debatable.

If it's solely for plinking, there's a certain logic to getting something dirt cheap like Anderson or PSA, but I wouldn't recommend anything in that category if you think you might use it as a house gun at some point.

Pretty much. Much ado is made about any number of things, but it's mostly just noise created by marketing departments to resell the same mousetrap in 31 different flavors, often to the detriment of its basic functions.

Once you wade through all the fluff, the best option for 99% of people becomes obvious.

<yawn>

Yeah, you're right man, nothing else is dependable but a Colt. So glad you're here to finally settle the debate once and for all. How lucky are we?

:lmfao:

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
<yawn>

Yeah, you're right man, nothing else is dependable but a Colt. So glad you're here to finally settle the debate once and for all. How lucky are we?

:lmfao:

You should add this to the list of "interesting" reasons someone may not want you for a Dr., doesn't worship at the alter of Colt AR's.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't have something very specific in mind, buying is better than building. The only time building is cheaper is if you're going to replace a bunch of parts anyways. For example, if you want a race gun for competition shooting, and you don't like the off the shelf option from people like JP, Taran, etc., then building is obviously a necessary evil.

If you're looking for a bombproof AR for general purpose, home defense, SHTF, etc., a Colt LE6920 is what you want, and it's not even debatable.

If it's solely for plinking, there's a certain logic to getting something dirt cheap like Anderson or PSA, but I wouldn't recommend anything in that category if you think you might use it as a house gun at some point.

Oh it's debatable..... in fact..... probably Fudlore at this point. Colt is middle of the road nowadays.....

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would buy a stripped lower and watch for a lpk kit and stock with or without an assembled upper. You can put the lower together and snap in a built upper. You will save money this way.

Lowers can be assembled with minimal tools.
That's how I built my first two and will probably build my next one.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why can't people just give their ideas on the subject without putting other people down for their's. I'd be interested learning.....just sayin.

Highly recommend you going to youtube and finding the School of the American Rifle Channel. You'll learn more about spec'ing ARs than you'll ever care to know. He also offers a class. Either way, you'll get a better understand of why Pony worship or "milspec" is outdated thinking. Whether you build or buy, there's a wealth of information available there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom