AR-15 build or buy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I say milspec, I'm speaking only of the dimensions and interchangeability. Colt is beyond milspec now in terms of accuracy and longevity, due to seemingly proprietary methods. The only options that have proven more durable are non milspec, that have few interchangeable parts with an AR15, and therefore cost three times as much.

Nope. I honestly have NO idea what you mean by "non mil spec" parts costing three times as much.

Anyhoo... take a SOLGW Bolt carrier vs Colt for example. Both are quality, both in a similar price range. Both are HPMPT. Colt uses their gold spring, SOLGW uses sprinco. Microbest makes both. However, SOLGW test fires each one on full auto.

I could go on and on with several other parts/examples if need be? In addition, Colt has been extremely inconsistent with regards to QC. Also, there's that pesky fact that they got sued a few years back for outsourcing their parts. SO you see some people worship Colt and they were an industry frontrunner at one point, however, those days have passed and several shops have take advantage of their lack of decent business practices.

None of this is to say that Colt is garbage, it's just to say that it's not nearly the high standard many used to hold it to be. Given today's pricing, or recent pricing, you're better off with SOLGW, FN, BCM, or LWRC to name a few.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Oddly enough i have but doesnt relate to anything that could be related to firearms. This thread definately took a different turn. However still very informative to myself.

You have been around long enough to know the crazy train is always warmed up and ready to rip!! Makes for some lively reading!! :cool:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing the competitors have on Colt is all fluff. Mid this, free float that. Or worse, lightweight carriers, PDW buffers, etc. I don't have time to go into detail on every so called modern upgrade to the AR, so I will briefly comment on the most common: free float rails. Take a look at the two free float rail upgrades that have been adopted by SOCOM. You have the Mk12 and the Mk18mod1. Ask yourself what those two have in common with one another. They're both extremely rigid and heavy, because that's what it takes to keep them from flexing. These lightweight ones that are so popular, anything you mount to that top rail isn't going to hold zero. Crane also found that they don't lock up well enough and a slight bump can shift zero, along with temperature changes. The problem is compounded by the fact that most of them are 15 inches long, and of course people like to mount their sights and lasers at the very end. Obviously I don't have to explain what happens when you mount a sight at the end of a 15 inch flexible rail.
Let's talk about what your experience is with free floating handguards if that is what your calling free floating rails. When does anyone mount a dot. laser or sight to a hand guard? Maybe the front sight of a BUIS that that is all. Sights are added to the rail on the receiver.
I have a few ar's in multiple calibers killing deer at long ranges as well as sustained range times. I'm not seeing the issue of zero's moving as long as one does use a free floating handguard. The M4's with the barrel bands on the forearm, like any rifle with a barrel band doesn't do well for accuracy when heating up.
You won't see any rifle shoot well at long ranges unless the barrel is free floating.

Latest posts

Top Bottom