AR-15 Left handed setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I'm a left eye dominate righty. I really just need to relearn shooting long guns lefty. What's the recommended setup for AR's? I'm building a lower that already has an ambi bolt catch. Are you lefties putting in ambi safety's and mag releases, or just learning to make due with those controls as is? Cough, cough @Gunbuffer

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up right handed and right eye dominant. I can barely feed myself with my left hand.
I lost the sight in my right eye at 34 or 35 years old.
Every gun I owned was right handed.
I had to learn to shoot long guns left handed.
It took me a while to be able to find/fix/make work, the shooting platform left handed. After about 3 or 4 years of skeet league and trap league, and 3 gun competitions, and dove hunting, I finally felt comfortable shooting a long gun left handed.
I knew the controls right handed, and chose to learn to run them left handed. It Made shotgun loading a breeze, cause my “weak hand loading” is right handed, which is truly my strong hand. I still shoot pistols right handed, just using my left/only eye.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the rest to God.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just buy my “old” competition AR. Make you a great deal on it.
All you need is an ambi safety really. If you want to drop mags with your strong hand, then a Troy ambi mag release is the best. Better than norgon.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you happen to be interested in a PCC, I think Beretta's CX4 can be set up either way (including ejection).

Just a thought. :drunk2:
In my experience, ejection is almost a non issue for lefties shooting, other than possibly a suppressed w lots of back pressure. And there are substantial advantages, like seeing malfs instantly and being able to diagnose and fix problems

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I am right handed and left eye dominate. I always shot long guns left handed.

When I got into ARs, thinking that I might be getting brass to the face, I switched to shooting right handed.

I soon discovered that shooting left handed was not a problem but I almost always shoot right handed now. I use optics so it works just fine for me.

(Full disclosure; I'm not a high powered tactical operator. YMMV.)

YetiSam

spaghetti pistols
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Left handed shooter. I've tested a lot of stuff on a timer to see what works best for me.

Ambi Mag Release: Absolutely will make you faster. If you practice stowing mags when you reload, it won't matter and the factory mag release is kinda superior for a leftie. Dropping the mag and slamming another in, having a release on the left is a bonus as you can drop the mag with your trigger finger. LWRC factory lowers work pretty great here. The Troy part is also good to go for me.

Safety: Makes no difference in speed. You can be pretty spot on using your trigger finger here. I do tend to use them at this point though since I have several lowers with them.

Charging handle: Not necessary, but makes things easier since you can just hook the charging handle with a claw finger instead of rolling the rifle a bit to get the catch.

Bolt Release: Just leave it factory and hit it with my right hand thumb after I seat a mag.

StitchJones

Ayatollah of Rock-and-Roll-a
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a left handed shooter and can't stand left hand rifles (especially an AR). I had a left handed stag and traded it off.

Eta, I do like ambitious charging handles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom