AR-15 Left handed setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YetiSam

spaghetti pistols
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bolt release is on the left side of an AR. I could see hitting it with your right thumb if you have a bolt-on ambi bolt catch release (like a Magpul BAD lever)? Maybe I'm misunderstanding here.

Good catch. Thinking of my LWRC lowers. You can hit it with your trigger finger on a factory AR setup. So, ignoring my retardation, it really isn't a time saver to add the ambi catch.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, I talked to a family of firearms instructors, Angie and Brian Houck, and they strongly recommend, in a blended LH/RH household, that all the guns be righties, because in a SHTF scenario, if someone needs to pick up a dropped firearm, they can use it, because it hasn't been converted to LH (or if they are a righty and can't run a LH, etc). This was specifically tailored towards mag releases on Glocks, but I have used it in all other scenarios. Junior shoots RH long guns left handed. He was raised that way, in case someday he needs to grab one quickly.
I understand that this discussion was mainly about ambi, and I love ambi, my AR is slowly becoming ambi, but he's learning on it RH.

Last edited:

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a lefty I also can't stand left handed rifles, they don't feel natural to me. I've had a Ruger scout and ma Ruger American left hand bolt guns, a charter arms southpaw, and a stag left handed AR. They don't feel as natural as crossing over the rifle to work a bolt. And the charter arms was all but useless to me. The only things I need on an ar is an ambi charging handle, and an ambi safety is nice to have also.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you happen to be interested in a PCC, I think Beretta's CX4 can be set up either way (including ejection).

Just a thought. :drunk2:

I’m left handed too. Yes, the CX4 ejection can be switched, but you have to pull the bolt and swap sides with the extractor and ejector.

The Beretta ARX100 is totally ambidextrous with out having to take it apart. All you need is the tip of a bullet to change ejection from one side to the other.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just buy my “old” competition AR. Make you a great deal on it.
All you need is an ambi safety really. If you want to drop mags with your strong hand, then a Troy ambi mag release is the best. Better than norgon.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Don't think an ambi mag release will work on this lower unless I make some mods. Left side looks like:
fence.JPG

Will work on my others.

Had I not already spent way too much money in the last two months, I'd be tempted by your competition AR.

Just figure I should finally force myself to use rifles and shotguns left handed.

If you happen to be interested in a PCC, I think Beretta's CX4 can be set up either way (including ejection).

Just a thought. :drunk2:

I may have ordered a Glock cmmg banshee pistol a few weeks ago to form1 into an SBR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom