AR 15 misfire problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR15 problem!!!

Took my new black rain AR15 out to shoot today for the very first time. I'd shoot three rounds and then nothing would happen. Like a misfire? I'd eject the round and cycle a new one. It would shoot 3 or 4 rounds and then misfire? I repeated this about four or 5 times. Always the same thing.

I'd lubed the BCG the night before. After my problem started occurring, I once again took the BCG apart cleaned it, relubed it very lightly, and tried the whole thing again. It shot about 3 or 4 rounds and then the same thing happened again. One time, I ejected the round and cycled a new round and 3 times in a row nothing. 3 misfires? Then on the 4th attempt it shot 4 rounds and then misfired again.

We started examining the shell cases. The ones that didn't fire looked like a possible light strike. The cases that did fire looked a bit deeper on the primer.

The ammo I used was brand new Federal .223.

I'm not new to firearms, but I am to AR15s. I'm not a gun builder or AR15 guru! I will be one hopefully one of these days.

Can you guys point me in the right direction as far as where to take it to get fixed? Right now, my only option is to take it to H&H. I don't really want to do that. I took a shotgun there to be repaired recently. It had a similar problem. They had it 6 months. I don't really want to be without my AR15 for possibly 6 months.

Thanks,

I'm frustrated.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you buy the rifle assembled or did you assemble the lower yourself? Are you using factory trigger springs and not lighter after market springs? Are they just misfires or are they misfeeds?

OKC_Jim

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you tell if the hammer is resetting?

Light primer strikes probably aren't true light strikes; they are probably from the floating firing pin.

What ammo are you using? If using some of the cheap stuff you might try again with good quality named brand stuff.

You mention light lube. Try more lube. Many guys run ARs 'wet'.

So, the first things I would try are more lube and good quality ammo.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
+1 for more lube. My Ar15 is happiest when its sloppy wet.

Might pull the firing pin, inspect the bolt and pin (pin face especially) make sure you don't have a sticking issue.

Good luck! keep us posted.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can you tell if the hammer is resetting?

Light primer strikes probably aren't true light strikes; they are probably from the floating firing pin.

What ammo are you using? If using some of the cheap stuff you might try again with good quality named brand stuff.

You mention light lube. Try more lube. Many guys run ARs 'wet'.

So, the first things I would try are more lube and good quality ammo.

I don't think the trigger was resetting. I had it really lubed up the night before, that's why I cleaned and lightly lubed it this time. I was using new Federal .223 ammo

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you buy the rifle assembled or did you assemble the lower yourself? Are you using factory trigger springs and not lighter after market springs? Are they just misfires or are they misfeeds?

I bought the rifle brand new and completely assembled. I have not changed anything. There were no misfeeding issues.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you pulled the trigger on the mis fires, did you get a click( hammer dropping) or was it just mush?

Aree you able to replicate the issue while performing a function check?

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you pulled the trigger on the mis fires, did you get a click( hammer dropping) or was it just mush?

Aree you able to replicate the issue while performing a function check?

Good question!

The trigger would not move. I do not think it reset. It's not like I pulled it, it clicked, and nothing happened. The trigger would not pull, yet there was a light strike mark on the round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom