AR 15 misfire problem?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the trigger/hammer assembly a standard mil-spec or an aftermarket set up? Sounds like the disconnecter isn't engaging.

I would not know. I'm not experienced enough to know. I let a guy look at it a few months ago look at it that was in the military and very experienced with AR 15s. He took it apart and examined it. He mentioned that it had a very nice competition trigger. I have no more info than that.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question!

The trigger would not move. I do not think it reset. It's not like I pulled it, it clicked, and nothing happened. The trigger would not pull, yet there was a light strike mark on the round.

The light primer mark is probably a result of the floating pin hitting the primer as the bolt moves into battery after loading the cartridge, as was pointed out earlier.
Indeed, it seems your trigger is not resetting, allowing the hammer to follow the BCG forward. Since it is successfully stripping a round from the magazine and chambering it, you dont have a problem with the gas system or ammo.

This will be caused by a defective disconnector, weak disco spring, disco spring hole drilled too deep, or a problem with the mating surface on the hammer where the disco is supposed to catch. There are a couple of other considerably more rare possibilities involved, but im betting it will be one of the areas listed.
This should be covered under warranty, and i would encourage you to contact the store for guidance on getting it fixed. Fortunately, it should be an easy part swap regardless of the issue. I only recommend the warranty work because i am not familiar with how the company may view your doing the part swaps yourself, and if that would void your warranty.
If you decide to do the troubleshooting yourself along with the part swaps let me know if I can help.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The light primer mark is probably a result of the floating pin hitting the primer as the bolt moves into battery after loading the cartridge, as was pointed out earlier.
Indeed, it seems your trigger is not resetting, allowing the hammer to follow the BCG forward. Since it is successfully stripping a round from the magazine and chambering it, you dont have a problem with the gas system or ammo.

This will be caused by a defective disconnector, weak disco spring, disco spring hole drilled too deep, or a problem with the mating surface on the hammer where the disco is supposed to catch. There are a couple of other considerably more rare possibilities involved, but im betting it will be one of the areas listed.
This should be covered under warranty, and i would encourage you to contact the store for guidance on getting it fixed. Fortunately, it should be an easy part swap regardless of the issue. I only recommend the warranty work because i am not familiar with how the company may view your doing the part swaps yourself, and if that would void your warranty.
If you decide to do the troubleshooting yourself along with the part swaps let me know if I can help.

I'll bet its one of the above or the disconnector has to have a couple of more thousands removed. Its a fine line in there. Polishing thing.

Peabody

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Black Rain is functioning perfectly now. I took it back to the dealer Monday. He called me Wednesday and said it was ready to pickup. He said it was a weak hammer spring.

Anyway, I shot it a bunch today at my new AR500 torso target. Didn't have any problem at all.

Just wanted to give an update!

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get a copy of military m-16 manual, Marine M-16 a2 is a common manual , this book will show you how to check things like that your self. also if you are shooting a lot of euro ammo with thick and heavy primer sealant , its possible for that sealant to be squeezed back inside bolt via firing pin hole and prevent a good firing pin strike. a aquantences ak heavy barrel did just that after about 1000 rds,stripped bolt and a big chuck of green solid sealant fell out.he now regulary dissasembles and cleans bolts in all his guns.FYI some ak's have a small hole drilled in firing pin which leads to breakage, so check ALL your ak firing pins asap.

RevThompson

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad it's working for you. I had a similar situation with mine when i first took it out. for me it ended up being the disconnector. But now that all of this is behind you happy shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom