AR-15 Slings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just swapped out a Magpul setup back to my Vickers sling with QD mounts.
I can see where the Magpul would be tops in a deployment patrol situation where you are always at the low ready. It's basically there to keep your rifle attached to you just in case you drop it or the occasional resting spot. Shoulder transitions also shine with the Magpul.
If your gonna be moving while NOT holding your rifle I've found a 2 point to be my preference.

Bootleggn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just swapped out a Magpul setup back to my Vickers sling with QD mounts.
I can see where the Magpul would be tops in a deployment patrol situation where you are always at the low ready. It's basically there to keep your rifle attached to you just in case you drop it or the occasional resting spot. Shoulder transitions also shine with the Magpul.
If your gonna be moving while NOT holding your rifle I've found a 2 point to be my preference.

Ever try running the MS2(Magpul) sling in its 2 point configuration? If not, you missed half the features of that particular sling!

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have however, I prefer a wider strap and padded in a 2 point.
My thoughts are a single point for mostly ready position and 2 point for hauling it on your back.

Ever try running the MS2(Magpul) sling in its 2 point configuration? If not, you missed half the features of that particular sling!

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the Ching sling. Not only carries the rifle but can also be used as a shooting aide...if you have ever shot high power or know how to use a shooting sling you would like this better than any single point, double point or 3 point. The stability provided in any of the shooting positions is incredible. KurtM

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Ching sling. Not only carries the rifle but can also be used as a shooting aide...if you have ever shot high power or know how to use a shooting sling you would like this better than any single point, double point or 3 point. The stability provided in any of the shooting positions is incredible. KurtM

Yeah, I am with you on the benefits of a sling as a marksmanship aid. I use a sling in lieu of a bipod on my battle rifles... it can provide just about as much support when used properly, and is actually better for rapid fire. It saves a lot of weight and bulk, and can be used in any position, unlike a bipod.

However, a one- or two-point carry sling doesn't necessarily preclude you from also using a sling as a marksmanship aid.

The Ching Sling is a great idea, but it limits you to a hasty sling for supporting the rifle, and limits you to over-the-back carry. I like being able to carry the rifle slung in front of your body for quicker access if it is needed. I also prefer a loop sling over a hasty sling for any position except for standing.

I have come up with a setup using either a 1 or 2 point carry sling (like the Blackhawk or Vickers) in conjunction with a GI web sling (the M1 or M14 issue one), to get the best of both worlds.

You use the 1 or 2 point sling attached to the rifle in the normal way, using side swivels. You have the GI web sling attached to your support arm using the "loop" method, but with an extra hook or a QD swivel on the other end, so it attaches and detaches quickly to the rifle. The GI sling stays there on your arm, tucked inside itself so as not to dangle around and make noise. Then if you need some extra support for a small or distant target, or if you are going to be shooting from one place for a while, you just hook it up to the front bottom swivel or QD socket and wrap your wrist.

It lets you transition quickly back and forth from "CQB/dynamic mode" to "precision marksmanship mode."

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhh...the Ching sling does provide the full support of a loop sling with the speed of a hasty sling. You can also use the Ching idea with a V-Tac type two point and get the best of all 3 worlds. Don't confuse the ching sling with a regular two point used as a hasty sling....it isn't