AR-15 style .22LR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the market for a new AR style .22. I have looked at 3 different ones, and would like yalls opinion on them if you have any of these rifles,

First I am looking at the S&W M&P 15-22,
Next I looked at the Colt Umarex, I like this one better than the M&P 15-22, cause the Colt is all metal, and has a dust cover.
But I was looking online and I see that Mossberg has a tactical rifle in .22LR, the pictures look pretty cool, but I have not seen one in person, I am leaning to buying the Mossberg, mainly cause it is half the price of the M&P, I can get the mossberg for $220. The only downside I see is that it only has a 10 round mag. I am not sure if a mag from the M&P will fit in this.

So, what do yall think? does anyone have the Mossberg? or know if the M&P mags will work with it.

Thanks in advance for the help..

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Colt is crap and universally panned. The Smith had teething problems (mainly extractors) but they seem to have that issue fixed. No experience with the Mossy, so I can't comment on it.

Have an AR already? If so, just get a CMMG .22 kit for it or buy a Tactical Solutions upper.

redneck1861

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Colt is crap and universally panned. The Smith had teething problems (mainly extractors) but they seem to have that issue fixed. No experience with the Mossy, so I can't comment on it.

Have an AR already? If so, just get a CMMG .22 kit for it or buy a Tactical Solutions upper.

Yeah I just picked up my 2nd AR yesterday, I looked at the conversion kits and the .22 uppers, but I would rather have a dedicated .22 AR, and the cost of the mossberg is cheaper than some of the conversion kits and uppers that I have seen.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I just picked up my 2nd AR yesterday, I looked at the conversion kits and the .22 uppers, but I would rather have a dedicated .22 AR, and the cost of the mossberg is cheaper than some of the conversion kits and uppers that I have seen.
Mike has a very nice Tac Sol dedicated upper HERE. You need to jump on it. I've shot it and it fed everything, very accurate, and looks/feels just like a regular AR.

bcox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only downside I see is that it only has a 10 round mag. I am not sure if a mag from the M&P will fit in this.

So, what do yall think? does anyone have the Mossberg? or know if the M&P mags will work with it.

IMO the mossberg feels very cheap, and the mags from the M&P will not work.

The mossberg is a 702 plinkster that has been put into a shell that looks kinda like a AR

OH, and a better place for these kind of questions would be the rimfire section

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I checked out the mossy at the show and was not impressed with fit/finish.

I second the tac-sol dedicated upper (if price is no concern)...I also checked out CMMG dedicated .22 upper at the show and thought it looked like a decent deal. Id rather have a dedicated upper than "lead up" a .223 upper with a conversion kit.

Also, check out the Sig Sauer 522... looks like a fun gun for the price

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get yourself a dedicated upper, it's the best way to go. Fun to shoot and nearly identical in function to your regular rifle. I use my dedicated setup for everything from plinking to steel challenge, to rifle matches... Getting an upper with the proper twist rate barrel is better than a conversion kit IMHO...

Check it... It's 5" barrel with a modified Ciener kit and a YHM Mite in this pic.
ai249.photobucket.com_albums_gg202_rustyzx9_SunFeb21130711CST2010.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom