AR-9 pistol build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, not too happy with Bear Creak Arsenal right now. I bought the barrel and handguard from them and just now realized they didn't include a wrench to torque the barrel nut. Just wrote to them to see if its included, but after looking at the parts list there is nothing saying one is. Anyone used one of their handguards and know what size wrench to use? Or how I can get a good torque reading on it?

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
You got a picture of the barrel nut? I couldn't find anything on their site showing it other than a standard ar barrel nut. Its pretty common for manufactures to sell wrenches as add-ons and not include them when they use a custom nut.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should be able to use a crows foot on that. Do you have calipers to measure the nut cut into it?

White oak makes a round tool that works on their nuts with holes in it and a pin. But the holes in that nut looks like they are for screwing down the hand guard. You are going to need a crows foot.

Last edited:

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s one I finished last month.

Spikes Glock mag lower. Really like LRBHO (mandatory) and installed items.
PSA 4” barrel ar upper with bcg, handguard and linear comp
Tail hook mod 2
Heavy buffer
Rise Armament flat face 3.5lb trigger
Ambi safety
Holosun HS507C

Eventual plan is full time suppressor with longer handguard and add a weapon light

Attachments

• 4C163F58-FCC6-42E8-AE47-575C305E5B17.jpeg
    4C163F58-FCC6-42E8-AE47-575C305E5B17.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 121

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should be able to use a crows foot on that. Do you have calipers to measure the nut cut into it?

White oak makes a round tool that works on their nuts with holes in it and a pin. But the holes in that nut looks like they are for screwing down the hand guard. You are going to need a crows foot.

No calipers, but might just take the barrel nut with me to Lowes. And yes, the holes are threaded for the handguard attachment.

And Glockpride, I was going to get a fully assembled PSA upper, but they only had a 9" and I wanted something shorter. Was going to go with a 4", but went with a 7" instead. Plus, I got a matched Spikes upper/lower from a LGS. Spent more than I was going to, but it supports a local store so its worth it.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No calipers, but might just take the barrel nut with me to Lowes. And yes, the holes are threaded for the handguard attachment.

And Glockpride, I was going to get a fully assembled PSA upper, but they only had a 9" and I wanted something shorter. Was going to go with a 4", but went with a 7" instead. Plus, I got a matched Spikes upper/lower from a LGS. Spent more than I was going to, but it supports a local store so its worth it.

The way I understand it is that the 7-8” give that additional velocity you may want for home defense and that extra oomph. For me, this will predominantly be a HD gun for the wife/kid, so I wanted shorter to give less overall length when suppressing. And lower velocity to keep the sound down. I’ll just run 147-160 grain bullets.
I will more than likely build another or buy another with a longer barrel for range fun.

I was anti-9 for a while in my life, but for handguns that is mostly all I shoot now. Then I didn’t see the point in the PCC. Now, I’ve come around and they can be loads of fun. Not the most versatile but can be a lot less expensive to shoot.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way I understand it is that the 7-8” give that additional velocity you may want for home defense and that extra oomph. For me, this will predominantly be a HD gun for the wife/kid, so I wanted shorter to give less overall length when suppressing. And lower velocity to keep the sound down. I’ll just run 147-160 grain bullets.
I will more than likely build another or buy another with a longer barrel for range fun.

I was anti-9 for a while in my life, but for handguns that is mostly all I shoot now. Then I didn’t see the point in the PCC. Now, I’ve come around and they can be loads of fun. Not the most versatile but can be a lot less expensive to shoot.

Exactly my thoughts on it, HD but fun at the range for low cost. Now just to finish the damn thing. Ordered a 1 3/16" crow foot and a better torque wrench (mine was the old swing arm type that was a handmedown from my father in law) from Amazon. So... now its a waiting game... again..and again..

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Btw, for those looking for a good upper vise block I can now recommend the Vism brand one. Tested it out and the upper I attached to it did not wiggle or budge one bit. Here is a link to it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/ATG-Patch-Nc...ng-goods&sprefix=vism+upp,sporting,169&sr=1-1

The bcg section is held on by two hex bolts. Once removed you slide it into the upper, then place the combo onto the bottom section. You put in the two pins were the take down eyelets are and then bolt the two pieces of the block back together. Afterwards the upper is held completely still and the pressure is spread out over the whole upper. You can also just use the bottom piece by itself if you are just doing maintenance with no torquing. This will work for AR15, AR10, AR9, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom