AR Conversation in regards to Bolts and Firing Pins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidWOwens

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been wondering, how many people keep with, or carry in your grip/bag/kit and so on. An extra bolt &/or firing pin. If you do, how many times have you experienced a broken firing pin, or gas ring failure of any type? I'm just doing so research for an idea.

Thanks, let the comments roll in!

Stay Safe & carry On!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
your more likely to drop it and break a sight or optic than to have problems with those 2 parts.
I've had ARs and M-16's over the last 35 years and never had to replace a fp or gas rings.
I have however broken 2 forward assists in the last couple years (flipper that contacts the bolt not properly heat treated)

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
your more likely to drop it and break a sight or optic than to have problems with those 2 parts.
I've had ARs and M-16's over the last 35 years and never had to replace a fp or gas rings.
I have however broken 2 forward assists in the last couple years (flipper that contacts the bolt not properly heat treated)

You've had to actually use your forward assist? And broke 2?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You've had to actually use your forward assist? And broke 2?

Not saying I don't want it there, but over many thousands of rounds never used it. Let alone break 2

The two were of unknown origin. in looking at them versus their replacement from FBT, the middle of the flipper was machined too much and they cracked there.
It is a very rare occurrence for me to use it and I barely hit them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom