AR trigger mods with numbers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A big thanks goes out to those I got trigger parts from.
I did some tweaking and testing in my AR15 And also checked for reliable primer ignition using CCI 450 primers in Federal cases. These are small pistol magnum primers with a harder cup than the CCI 400 and harder than the CCI 550.. Harder or possibly thicker.. either way it is the one that will not pierce when overloaded,,Yes I tested over loading cases until primer failure in .223.
(failure meaning piercing a hole into primer) The CCI 450 did not fail when others did .

Now To start with i took a cheap mil spec trigger assembly and tested for trigger pull weight.
6.4 pounds to set it off. Now yours can be different with the same parts as many lowers the pin holes can be just a tad different position.

Mine repeated 6.4 lbs many times.

The Hammer took 5.6 lbs to begin moving it back...I positioned the scale hook at the point on the hammer where it meets the top of the lower receiver.

Now I modified the spring on the hammer This took less pull to begin to move it back.
3.2 Pounds.
I get reliable primer ignition at that weight.. but my gun stays clean and not carboned up.

Trigger pull was reduced.
4.4 Pounds.

Now I polished the trigger end with 1000 grit wet sand paper, I made it wet also.
This resulted in.
4.1 Pounds. Trigger pull weight.

Then I tweaked the trigger spring. I bent the legs up at a slight angle. Pictures below.
3.8 Pounds.

It is much lighter and smoother than stock I get reliable ignition and no funny business happening.

Now this is just some information I gathered for my gun. It is cheap and easy and more time was spent measuring than actually tweaking the parts.

Here is a picture of the stock spring and the modded ones ..Modded ones are bent and cut.
1 leg on the Hammer spring was cut to 1/4" long.
You may not need to cut it if you bend it ..I had cut mine before any bending took place.
You do not need to stone the edge of the trigger,,I did stone it to reduce trigger pull distance.

AR trigger mod 001.JPG

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not see how doing a speed cut on the hammer will reduce trigger pull weight.
You would need the spring to be modified or get another spring.

Looks like the JP spring kit will give you 4-5 pounds with stock parts and 3-3.5 pounds with their parts.
Not bad if you want to pay money instead of tweaking what you have.

I took one trigger and modded it too much and trigger pull was below 2 lbs and I got ignition when I pulled the trigger and another round fired off when I let go of the trigger.
That was interesting..I researched triggers and they actually sell one that does that.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not see how doing a speed cut on the hammer will reduce trigger pull weight.
You would need the spring to be modified or get another spring.

Looks like the JP spring kit will give you 4-5 pounds with stock parts and 3-3.5 pounds with their parts.
Not bad if you want to pay money instead of tweaking what you have.

I took one trigger and modded it too much and trigger pull was below 2 lbs and I got ignition when I pulled the trigger and another round fired off when I let go of the trigger.
That was interesting..I researched triggers and they actually sell one that does that.

Not what I said. I said you can reduce the pull weight MORE, without losing reliability. The speed cut makes the hammer faster.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry Glocktogo I get it now.
I bobbed it (never heard of bobbed until now) and left the springs modified as they are.. It feels much better than stock.

I am new to all this AR trigger stuff.
And I do not like to rely on aftermarket support if I can tweak what I already have.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry Glocktogo I get it now.
I bobbed it (never heard of bobbed until now) and left the springs modified as they are.. It feels much better than stock.

I am new to all this AR trigger stuff.
And I do not like to rely on aftermarket support if I can tweak what I already have.

I totally get that, and I was the same way for a long time.
Now I have 2 rifles with Timney 3.5 triggers and another with a Black Rain 3.5 and I don't think I'll ever go back to the polish/bob/spring setup.
Don't ever get a Timney trigger. It'll spoil you for life.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife's 243 mossberg 100 atr had a terrible trigger and I modified it ... while looking at the mechanism I seen I could drill and tap where the trigger tension spring was ..Well On the back side of it anyway..So i did and installed a set screw to make an adjustable trigger.
Not 2 weeks later Mossberg releases their adjustable lightning bolt trigger.
Adjustable the same way I did the 100ATR set screw in the same place.

Dang it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom