AR15 headspace gauge - without disassembling the BCG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.billricca.com/collectors_corner.htm

This was the only source I have seen an actually USGI gauge from. You are a few months too late though as they are sold out. If memory serves me, they were around $40.

You might look into getting a bolt takedown fixture to make the process of ejector and extractor removal a little more streamlined.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...locks/sinclair-ar-15-bolt-vise-prod34719.aspx

Yup, been to both of those places already. Thanks for the effort at assistance.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really tryin'ta bite my tongue on this one... This isn't ARFCOM, but sometimes we just like to play like it is, hmmm?

Thought I covered that in the last line of my first post, but some folks just can't help but point out their superiority to others, I suppose.

Head space doesn't need to be checked so why do it?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i really dont know how you would do it short of drilling and grinding the gauge as was mentioned before. assuming that the base of the gauge wasnt buggered up in the drilling process I dont see why it wouldnt work fine.
I request you give it a whirl and post a DIY with pics since this is not the first time I have seen this question asked.

what about a new bolt, well used barrel situation?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just remember those gauges are harder than a drill bit. you can notch'em with a dremel cutoff wheel.
just don't take too much or you won't get a good boltface to gauge fit.
put masking or scotch tape in layers on back of gauge then when it won't close anymore,
carefully peel off the tape in one chunk and measure the thickness with a micrometer and you will know your headspace.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes, it's completely irrelevant to the proper and safe function of a home-built weapon with parts from multiple different manufacturers where a slight imperfection in tolerances can lead to a catastrophic failure causing destruction of your rifle and the potential for significant bodily harm.

I've got it completely, now, thank you for your clarification. Forget I even asked, my apologies for irritating you.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it's completely irrelevant to the proper and safe function of a home-built weapon with parts from multiple different manufacturers where a slight imperfection in tolerances can lead to a catastrophic failure causing destruction of your rifle and the potential for significant bodily harm.

I've got it completely, now, thank you for your clarification. Forget I even asked, my apologies for irritating you.

I had a friend down in Lawton that probably wish he had a headspace gauge. His AR did indeed blow up in his face when he was shooting it. Like you said, little here little there in just the right directions and catastrophic failure. Friend was lucky he had safety glasses on. The hole upper disintegrated, pieces everywhere.

Im looking at getting me a set also of 223 go no go gauges. Cant find a reasonable Saiga 223 so Im building one. Have a ton of parts sitting around I just need to mod on

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Rifles don't explode from headspace being off. If you are long case life will suffer and I suppose you could have an accuracy issue. If short reliability may suffer and it will be a pain in the butt to reload your cases. As long as the rifle will lock up on ammo and eject the unfired round you're realistically good to go.

Spend the money on buying high quality parts. If you're really worried about it buy barrels from manufacturers who will offer you a matched bolt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom