AR15 headspace gauge - without disassembling the BCG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could have been a squib or double charge. I have seen overpressure issues with incorrect headspacing, but never a completely blown upper. I have been unfortunate enough to see 2 different kabooms and they are not pleasant. Even factory ammo can be overcharged, though it is rare.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Catastrophic head space issue could lead to case head separation. But the gun shouldn't explode.

I agree.

Buddy of mine had a case rupture in his AR. Ammo was some Israeli military surplus. The rupture bent the extractor, blew the floorplate out of the magazine and put a lot of gas in his face. We knocked the bolt carrier out, put a new extractor in and continued shooting that day (albeit with different ammo).

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree.

Buddy of mine had a case rupture in his AR. Ammo was some Israeli military surplus. The rupture bent the extractor, blew the floorplate out of the magazine and put a lot of gas in his face. We knocked the bolt carrier out, put a new extractor in and continued shooting that day (albeit with different ammo).

Wow, I can't see why anyone would want to do something to try to make sure their rifles were safe.

I mean, obviously your buddy came out fine, there's absolutely no reason to expect anyone else might have a problem. Thanks for sharing.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'd bet money that the issue CAR-AR-M16's buddy had was in no way related to the headspace of the rifle.

I will concede that if the headspace of a particular barrel/bolt combo was well past whatever the field gauge measures there is the potential for having case failures.

I am going to stand fairly firm in my belief that actual dangerous carnage will not result from a headspace issue.

But I guess this is coming from the guy who loads 9mm to 1450 fps with 124gr bullets. I like to live dangerously.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd bet money that the issue CAR-AR-M16's buddy had was in no way related to the headspace of the rifle.

I will concede that if the headspace of a particular barrel/bolt combo was well past whatever the field gauge measures there is the potential for having case failures.

I am going to stand fairly firm in my belief that actual dangerous carnage will not result from a headspace issue.

But I guess this is coming from the guy who loads 9mm to 1450 fps with 124gr bullets. I like to live dangerously.

You are correct. My friends rifle did not have improper headspace. The problem was overloaded ammo. This was an issue with some of the IMI stuff imported in the 90's.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i114.photobucket.com_albums_n261_bettingpython_fa3a491a.jpg

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. People who are wrong need to be corrected so they don't end up poisoning the well of truth more than it already has been. There is no point in checking headspace on an AR. That is an excessively liberal waste of time.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. People who are wrong need to be corrected so they don't end up poisoning the well of truth more than it already has been. There is no point in checking headspace on an AR. That is an excessively liberal waste of time.

I agree with that. I have a bad habit of correcting people who are wrong.

So then it's a bad idea and actually can cause more problems with the functioning of your rifle? Would hate to think a safety check might make things worse. Glad you guys are here to tell me it's a bad idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom