AR15 in 22lr Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So with the current price and availability of 223/556 being AWFUL, I am thinking of adding an AR15 in 22lr to the fold.

My question is, do I get something like the M&P 15/22, a dedicated 22lr upper or a conversion kit like the CMMG?

Looking for your recommendations and experiences.

Want to be able to continue to train with AR15 platform and will probably add a Glock 44 to the mix for pistol.

Thank you in advance.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've not been overly impressed with my son's 15/22. I'd look into a dedicated 22LR upper. Just too much plastic everything, seems to misfire FTE a lot, maybe it's the cheap Federal ammo. I dunno.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've not been overly impressed with my son's 15/22. I'd look into a dedicated 22LR upper. Just too much plastic everything, seems to misfire FTE a lot, maybe it's the cheap Federal ammo. I dunno.
Good to know. I was concerned about the “cheapness” of the 15/22. I think the dedicated upper or CMMG kit is the way I am leaning. It keeps the weight similar and I get to work with the same controls.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up the CMMG Bravo conversion kit a while back and could not be happier! People warned of ftf and fte issues from time to time, I have had 0. Around 3K rounds throu it I hit it with some rem oil Every 300-400 rounds at the range and she cycles like a champ! Plus you get to use it on your pre existing platform which is cool because you get to train with the gear you might be using in the event of social unrest.

16050177333663200425592062856258.jpg

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up the CMMG Bravo conversion kit a while back and could not be happier! People warned of ftf and fte issues from time to time, I have had 0. Around 3K rounds throu it I hit it with some rem oil Every 300-400 rounds at the range and she cycles like a champ! Plus you get to use it on your pre existing platform which is cool because you get to train with the gear you might be using in the event of social unrest.

View attachment 179887
Thank you for the information. I have been researching these and they can be had for under $200 with 3 mags. Allot less than a dedicated upper.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not sure why all the hate for the 15-22. I’ve had one since a year or two after they came out. Thousands of rounds, great mags, works very well. Yes, it is plastic, but almost all parts interchange with real AR parts. We’ve Run many, many suppressed rounds through it. Can go hundreds or more rounds between cleanings.
The one downside to me is the weight is so much lighter than an equally outfitted AR-15, that the training aspect is a bit augmented. But, otherwise, you can line up behind the same exact scope or sights, with the same trigger, flashlight, etc and get some good, less expensive rounds in.
I’d say for the money, unless the new Hammerli is just that much better, then you really can’t go wrong with the 15-22.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not sure why all the hate for the 15-22. I’ve had one since a year or two after they came out. Thousands of rounds, great mags, works very well. Yes, it is plastic, but almost all parts interchange with real AR parts. We’ve Run many, many suppressed rounds through it. Can go hundreds or more rounds between cleanings.
The one downside to me is the weight is so much lighter than an equally outfitted AR-15, that the training aspect is a bit augmented. But, otherwise, you can line up behind the same exact scope or sights, with the same trigger, flashlight, etc and get some good, less expensive rounds in.
I’d say for the money, unless the new Hammerli is just that much better, then you really can’t go wrong with the 15-22.

I don't hate it, just seems we end up clearing a FTE or double feed or something about every 10-15 rounds some days. Annoying. I'd have to think something else would be better.

The Boy is old enough now to shoot his AR consistently and easily, but at the rate he goes through ammo, I can't afford it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom