AR15 pellet gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all I apologize for the phone pics. We are having a home remodel and the camers is...somewhere.....
I stumbled across a video on youtube about some guy using a .223 round, machining out the primer pocket to fit a magnum rifle primer, and resizing the neck to accept a .22 pellet. he didn't shoot it or anything, but it intrigued me.
Anyway if a little is good, a whole lot is better, so I got out on the lathe last night and bored out the base to accept a 209 shotgun primer.

[Broken External Image]

Then, to keep the pellet from falling through, had to make an insert and use a center punch to dimple both sides of the throat.

[Broken External Image]

Then had to make a tool to slightly bell out the mouth to accept the pellet.

[Broken External Image]

Finally came the great moment. Shooting!
First round was through a phone book about 1/2" thick. It went through with slowing down. Awesome!!
Next test was on a cedar board. One that is used to build a privacy fence, aproximatly 5/8" thick.
First round, complete pass through at 8 yards. 4 more rounds, and here is what I got:

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

Accurate and powerful enough for garden pests!:D
Got the chrony out to get a bullet speed, and for whatever reason, it won't work. It just keeps running numbers on the screen and won't settle down, so I can't give a report on velocity. Fun project though:D

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 12th Imam is a machinist, awesome!

Are you more the SASCO(okc shop) or CNC type?

Not a machinist by trade, but spent 21 years as a CNC maintenance Technician, electronics and controls in a couple of big machine shops.
Got bored with it and moved to Power plant controls.

I just like to tinker, so over the years, I've assembled a pretty nice little hobbiest machine/weld shop.
Still have a couple of bugs to work out on the round.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I wish I had access to the time, know-how, and equipment yall have when I get that bored.

:pms2: PLEASE! You don't have any room to talk with your exploding targets!.... which I still need to buy.

As for you Dennis, that is pretty stinkin' cool. There is a lot of stuff I need to learn because I never would have dreamed of doing something like that or have any clue how... but I'm on board for getting a couple of those from you as well. that's pretty sweet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom