archery colorado elk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a hunt. I have been several times but have never killed an elk with a bow. I've been twice with rifle and got elk both times. One of my buddies was going to OKC to talk to a friend about an area and he and his wife are going hiking up there in a couple weeks. If it looks good, we may be up there the first and second week of Sept.

DeerCreek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wish. My friend is going to the Gunnison area to elk hunt. I hope to go with him next year. I tried hunting Idaho a couple of times but struck out on the elk. I did bring home a black bear though. There's nothing like being close to a bull when he lets out bugle.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish. My friend is going to the Gunnison area to elk hunt. I hope to go with him next year. I tried hunting Idaho a couple of times but struck out on the elk. I did bring home a black bear though. There's nothing like being close to a bull when he lets out bugle.

That is the truth. It is just not right that the only bull I have ever killed was with a gun and he was bugling so much in the dark, as I was walking in, that I snuck up within 30 yards. I waited for it to get light and shot him offhand. It was a perfect set up for a bow shot. I have only been that close to one other with a bow and he ran up to about 4 yards and pinned me down then bolted and stopped at 30. I was so shook up that I shot out under his chin. Maybe one of these days it will happen. I have brought a couple of mulies back from Colorado though. Here is a pic of my 30 yard bull.

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_LonnieElk2005_1.jpg

heavy mag

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
DeerCreek, i hunted the west elk mts. near gunnison last year. You had to watch where you stepped for the bear scat. We boned out a bull and the next day there was a big bear on the carcuss.We got close enough to hear him growl but no bear tag.Would be an excellent area to bear hunt.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is the truth. It is just not right that the only bull I have ever killed was with a gun and he was bugling so much in the dark, as I was walking in, that I snuck up within 30 yards. I waited for it to get light and shot him offhand. It was a perfect set up for a bow shot. I have only been that close to one other with a bow and he ran up to about 4 yards and pinned me down then bolted and stopped at 30. I was so shook up that I shot out under his chin. Maybe one of these days it will happen. I have brought a couple of mulies back from Colorado though. Here is a pic of my 30 yard bull.

]

Thats a fine animal:clap3:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In all my years of hunting Colorado...10 seasons?..I have never once seen a bear. Our local police chief has a cabin at Lake City and a couple of my buddies went up and hunted with him last year and had to stay up all night to keep the bears off their elk in his back yard. I can't remember how many bears were around the edges of the yard at one time watching for a chance to get the elk but I think it was 7.

Latest posts

Top Bottom