Are Oklahomans Armed In The Open 1 Year After Open Carry Became Legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If its IWB ...is it Really Open carry?

You mean you LFGST open carry on your lunch dates?

You guys Are Studs.... ;)

Open carry license?? I thought it was just a Carry Lic in its new form..(I still have the concealed carry one)

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Since Nov. 1, 2012, OSBI tells News 9 more than 60,000 Oklahomans have been approved for an open carry license. Take into account the previous concealed carry license holders who now have the option to carry open, more than 186,000 people can legally carry a firearm in Oklahoma."

OK, let's do some math here: (approximations)

Population of Oklahoma: 3,814,000
Population under 18: 25% of 381400 = 953500
Population over 18 then is: 2,860,500

Concealed Carry permits: 186,000 (yes, I know you have to be 21. I just couldn't find a citation for population OVER 21)

Therefore: 1 out of every 15 adults in Oklahoma have a Concealed carry permit.

Not bad.

Dave

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I agree we ARE studs, you show much perceptiveness.
Some OC on our lunches, some don't O/C, as they see fit - after all - it is still America, land of the free and home of the brave.

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Open carry license?? I thought it was just a Carry Lic in its new form..(I still have the concealed carry one)

Yes, I have open carried since last November. The only time I will conceal carry is if I have to travel to Texas.

I live in the Rural area so I don't go to town much. But have found that in Walmart open carry can have a hampering affect on my maneuvering especially around the gangs of morbid obese riding the handicapped carts blocking isles and running into everything.

I do find that I am very observant of anyone around me when I am in public. Had a minor incident a few months back in a convenience store when a slender young man walked in behind my friend at the register his hand within an inch of my friends weapon, he was eyeing it close. I stepped between this man and my friends weapon to force him to back off. Later my friend informed me this guy was one of those "wannabe gangbangers" that has been in juvenile lockup over the past few years. My friend also stated to me this guy is one of those who would try to take the weapon, and was more than likely trying to figure out how to release the retention on the weapon.

I have had Lawton's finest LPD tail me at estate auctions. But I have never been approached by one.

I do open carry at the LFGST luncheons, but have to be careful I don't get pepperoni on my weapon.

Sixpack73

New to the site!
Reaction score
I've seen several in just the last couple of months here in the west OKC, Yukon, Mustang area. One at Oreilly's, a couple at Walmart, one at Mama Mo's pizza. And I've personally oc'd at Chick fil-a and Home Depot as well. In a retention holster of course. So the oc'ers are out there but I think many are still either worried about reactions (never had a bad one myself) or think OC'ing is wrong, preferring CC instead.

I know I was a bit nervous the first time I tried it.

I will say though, that finding a thumb break holster isn't always easy depending on your model of gun. I had to do a lot of searching before I found a Desanti for my Walther PPS. I really like the hidden hybrid holsters but they don't offer a retention strap :(. That is what I use when I cover up with a shirt or jacket. So demand for thumb break holsters for civilians apparently isn't that high yet or there would be more options out there. Hopefully that all will change soon.

I prefer open carry for a couple reasons:
1. I personally think it helps with public perception when people see an armed citizen and nothing bad happens. Double points if you are very polite and they remember the nice person they ran into today at the store who was carrying.
2. In some cases, it can deter trouble from ever happening.
3. It is typically more comfortable for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom