Are Oklahomans Armed In The Open 1 Year After Open Carry Became Legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've seen maybe a half-dozen. All of them, without fail, using holsters with NO retention and not paying a damn bit of attention what was going on around them ... :nolike: But what do you do?? Move away with purpose, that's what ... :D

And we need retention, why?

You may have seen me! I do not like or need a holster with retention!

SeanO

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And we need retention, why?

You may have seen me! I do not like or need a holster with retention!

Being overly confident in not being a gun grab victim is not a good thing. It can happen to anyone, no one has 100% of the time 360* situational awareness.

That said, to each their own. I think retention while OCing is a smart idea, not required however.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being overly confident in not being a gun grab victim is not a good thing. It can happen to anyone, no one has 100% of the time 360* situational awareness.

That said, to each their own. I think retention while OCing is a smart idea, not required however.

The same applies to people who cc not just OC. Although it is even less likely to happen there are still situations where it can.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What Old Fart said. The intention was to allow us to carry in the open. It was never intended to close a loophole around brandishing.

I still want to know how many accidental exposures where charged with brandishing? I agree the intent of the law was to be able to carry in the open.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen one couple OC'ing. I was at Academy one day and this guy and I'm assuming his wife were strolling up and down the aisles.

He was a biker looking type with a shoulder holster flopping around down at belt level. She was wearing hers in a cheap looking nylon belt holster with the butt of the gun sticking way out to the side like she had been leaning on it and pushing it outward.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I still want to know how many accidental exposures where charged with brandishing?

I think everyone is happier with the law as far as this aspect goes. I personally don't know of anyone ever being charged with that. May be some. I figure if there was it was probably an attention getter just looking to be noticed.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oddly enough, no. Most of my friends are open carry and if you ask around here, they either have or are in the process of getting their oc. I rarely open carry for a couple of reasons. One: I don't particularly want anyone knowing that I have a gun and where I am carrying it. Two: No matter how far we have come, I can't help but think that people will react to my gun. I don't play with it. I don't draw attention to it. I just have it in a proper holster and no one cares but me. Pal told me to carry it open more and you will get over that, but like I said I like to keep it out of site but guickly available.

Liberty addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen 2 guys open carry in my laundromat since we opened last March; both using nice holsters, which is how I knew (or figured) they were legal. I have been conceal carrying for 17 years so I watch for this. I think almost no one else in the laundry noticed anything, if they did they said nothing.
Open carry is OK by me, but I cannot do it, at least not in Edmond. Since I teach at UCO, I have to keep it somewhat quiet. If I ever have to use it, I likely lose my job, but that is
better than being dead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom