Are people really paying $.30+ per round for .22LR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was at the LGS today and they had no 22lr but had about 15 boxes of old 22 remington special or Winchester WRF for 11 dollars a box. I never thought I would see the day that is was cheaper to shoot my old gallery guns than a regular 22.
I guess its times like these having something off the wall pays off. I grabbed a couple boxes as he is one of those rationers. I'm not worried too much about him selling them as only me and a guy named Junior that owns the other pawn shop in town are most likely the only two around that have one.

Another one that might be feeling pretty special right now are those old slick Winchester model 1903s that had the feed tube that went in the stock that shoot a 22win auto.

Last edited:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
see what fear will do. Makes folks do incredibly dumb stuff with their money. there is plenty overpriced ammo in our classifieds as it is if anyone desperately wants some, cause want and need are two different things. buy well and don't sweat it....and the next time it is so freaking cheap, Stack it the F deep.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
This time around, it is worse than the last time. Back then, you could buy all the Eley Tenex you wanted at $20.00 a box. Now you can't hardly find a round of premium ammo for sale.
Cant find any, except for a $300 dollar 500rd box of wolf extra match. I made a huge mistake thinking that nobody would buy up match 22 stuff due to cost this time around. Man was that a mistake. That and 17hmr. Never thought I would see the day that I couldn’t find that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
During the last .22 shortage that lasted for years, I was good to go by thinking a years supply would overcome the neckbeard pricing. I commented on here that I would never pay more than .04 cents a round and I held out with that pledge while catching flak on OSA until the ammo that I compete with came down to .05 per round and I was getting short. Pricing fell to the bottom shortly afterward, so the new thinking is that one must stock up at least 4 years of ammo to survive the current elections and backlogs from the manufacturers that would continue for months if everyone quit buying it to shoot. The neckbeards would continue to hoard and flip maintaining the artificial pricing. I'm just hoping they get stuck with $100 a bulk box of .22's and lose any profit they may make screwing their fellow gun owners.
Yes, I'm fully aware of supply and demand so spare me your FAUX knowledge because you know your gouging your fellow gun owners.
This entire shortage is gun owners screwing gun owners to make a buck and its sad to see.
It's not politicians, it's not the middle man, its the grassroots neckbeards profiting from a crisis on the shoulders of others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yea the last shortage I sold a brick of 22 to a co worker. I told him to conserve it. Nope he went out and blasted through the whole brick that weekend and wanted me to sell him more. I told him the well was dry. He had the same opportunity as I did to stock up and I even told him about the loophole that cabelas had at that time and how to still buy it although it showed out of stock. But he was too lazy to bother with it.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shortage will be over soon and should not last long. Besides that, there are 5k rounds right here this morning in the classifieds for around .10cents a round. Someone that needs some could grab that if needed.
I can get them local at little gun store for a <nickle and I have enough to last me the rest of my life most likely as I only use them for squirrel hunting, an occasional snake, coon hunt with a friend or dispatching a nuisance varmit.

I don't see myself killing 10,000 squirrels in the next 15-20 years I have left, nor would I want to.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lady friend of mine works at a local pawn shop,,,
She and I go shooting every now and then,,,
She's well aware of my ammo stash.

She said of I wanted to cash in on any of it,,,
She could easily get me a quarter a round for bulk HV ammo.

I asked if that was the owner buying it,,,
Or a consignment price with a commission?

She called her boss and he said he would give me $150.00,,,
For a 550 round bulk pack of Federal from Wal Mart,,,
From what I've been seeing on the internet,,,
He offered me a low-ball price..

I'm not selling any of my ammo,,,
But it's nice to know I could cash in if I wanted to.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom