Are suppressors over priced?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean there arent any moving parts, it is really just a tube with washers in it. Yes I know it is a bit more than that but some of these cans cost 1000 plus. Seems a bit out of hand.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean there arent any moving parts, it is really just a tube with washers in it. Yes I know it is a bit more than that but some of these cans cost 1000 plus. Seems a bit out of hand.

Yes, but it's a very small market with not many units moving. You can make your own pretty cheaply now. They even have titanium to keep it light weight.

Those over 1K are meh, you can buy a nice rifle can for under 1K with stamp.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any time a market is artificially restricted, it's almost axiomatic that the product will be overpriced.
Yes but suppressors are selling like hot cakes these days. There has to be a price drop in sight. I wouldn't mind paying 300 but I don't like have to pay the price of a good handgun then the tax stamp on top of it.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes but suppressors are selling like hot cakes these days. There has to be a price drop in sight. I wouldn't mind paying 300 but I don't like have to pay the price of a good handgun then the tax stamp on top of it.
Two things:
  1. Yes, they are selling well; consequently, producers may well be at the top of their capacity. Adding more capacity may be prohibitively expensive.
  2. There is a regulatory compliance cost associated with manufacturing them. Some of that cost is fixed, some is marginal. Again, artificial manipulation of the market tends to drive prices up.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Since they're selling like hot cakes for $1k, why would they charge less? I do agree they're incredibly over priced.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Unless they become way, way less regulated, there is no price drop on the horizon. Even if they were removed from NFA purview, didn't require $200 stamp, or a SOT (and the required ITAR fees), you'll still need to find a manufacturer using quality materials, machines, and methods then back it up with customer service which will increase cost.

You could always Form 1 a suppressor yourself and be in to it for anywhere from $200 to $400-ish, including stamp, depending on what access to materials, machines, and skills you have.

How your home build will compare to a can made by SiCo, Dead Air, or another manufacturer will depend on your design and materials. I'm sure most get really close to the same numbers of the big guys from home built cans.

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote YES.

Once you have the machining down and set up, there is minimal labor involved. They should be able to produce them at a fraction of the cost and still make a good profit. But then again, if they are selling, they will continue their ways.

Someone will come along and undercut the big sellers and make a killing.

*My opinion, youre mileage may vary.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The materials that some of the high end suppressors are made of (such as Titanium an Inconol) are very expensive and hard to machine, so costs on those will be high. If you think you can buy a facility and then stock it with the appropriate machinery, skilled workers and materials that will allow you to produce a quality suppressor (that you can advertise and distribute) at a far cheaper price then these other companies and still makes you enough profit to remain in business; please do so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom