Are suppressors over priced?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they seem overpriced to me as well.

I am really hoping the Hearing Protection Act would work to remove them from NFA regulation...which would instantly increase the # of people interested. I think at first the surge of demand would keep prices high but eventually, like 120 Acres said, more and more companies will start producing them and prices would drop considerably.

I understand that cost of quality materials and machining aren’t cheap…but prices still seem high to me for what you get.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The materials that some of the high end suppressors are made of (such as Titanium an Inconol) are very expensive and hard to machine, so costs on those will be high. If you think you can buy a facility and then stock it with the appropriate machinery, skilled workers and materials that will allow you to produce a quality suppressor (that you can advertise and distribute) at a far cheaper price then these other companies and still makes you enough profit to remain in business; please do so.

I agree that its a lot easier said than done. Like all things involving firearms their is a tier system...their will always be those top tier $2000 fancy pants titanium super suppressors or what have you. but I think eventually more and more manufacturers would get into the game and prices would go down.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that its a lot easier said than done. Like all things involving firearms their is a tier system...their will always be those top tier $2000 fancy pants titanium super suppressors or what have you. but I think eventually more and more manufacturers would get into the game and prices would go down.

I agree that as more manufacturers get into the game and the number of cans that they produce increases, the costs will go down. However you still have to maintain a workforce and machinery and advertising and insurance and, etc, etc, etc.... and still make a profit. That is why I do not think that they are way overpriced right now. Just my humble opinion, YMMV.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since they're selling like hot cakes for $1k, why would they charge less? I do agree they're incredibly over priced.
I don't think 1k ones are that hot but anything in the 600 dollar range is doing fine. Why not sell more for less and make more money. That or lower the damn adaptor prices which aren't regulated

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree that as more manufacturers get into the game and the number of cans that they produce increases, the costs will go down. However you still have to maintain a workforce and machinery and advertising and insurance and, etc, etc, etc.... and still make a profit. That is why I do not think that they are way overpriced right now. Just my humble opinion, YMMV.
Yes but other companies do all of this and still have good prices. It would be one thing if they were really complex but they aren't. A blowback pistol is more complex than a suppressor

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a few like Thompson Machine, Silencer Co and Advanced Armament.

If you have specific examples I can try to identify why the costs are higher or lower than the ones compared to. There are a few decent options for direct thread cans in the $4-500 range but won't be a feature filled, i.e. rated full auto or down to SBR lengths, quick detach, etc.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"...more and more companies will start producing them and prices would drop considerably."

I just hadda...
hps.jpg

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every dealer that touches an NFA item is paying $1000 annually for the SOT. Then a dealer must pay for inventory several months before receiving the inventory, because the FFL & SOT doesn't allow us to transfer freely with other dealers. The NFA is FUBAR'd.

Latest posts

Top Bottom