Are suppressors over priced?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every dealer that touches an NFA item is paying $1000 annually for the SOT. Then a dealer must pay for inventory several months before receiving the inventory, because the FFL & SOT doesn't allow us to transfer freely with other dealers. The NFA is FUBAR'd.

Don't think the issue is dealer markup, it's known you guys get stuck with the cans for months up to years. If I ran a shop don't think I'd even mess with it.

Hylomar

New to the site!
Reaction score
.Gov messing with the market drives pricing up.

You can build a form 1 in Titanium for about $400 minus the tax stamp. A drill press and a touch of mechanical knowledge is all that's required.
– Titanium Muzzle Brake Adapter – $45.99
– Titanium end cap – $45.99

– Titanium 7.6″ tube – $73.49
– Titanium D-cell spacer tube – $29.99
– Challenge coin – $34.99
– Muzzle brake – $56.99
– Stainless freeze plugs – $3.39 each x 12 = $40.68
– Double sided centering tool – $22.99
– Engraving Service – $25
Hardware

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Yes but they are being bought regardless. What is their overhead? Is there expensive licensing for manufactures?

True. I'm not saying the manufacturers should sell them for less; I'm saying the market is inflated artificially due to .gov restrictions. It's not a free market, so it doesn't follow typical supply/demand rules.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okie,

How many cans would you have to sell to recoup $250,000 in machining equipment? Be sure to factor in the material cost, G&A, depreciation, insurance, building, tooling, and maintenance of the $250k machinery. You are looking at that as a minimum you could easily put a numeral to the left of the 2.

Considering the FUBAR that S4F mentioned and this, it's a wonder that anyone even bothers making them. Get the .gov out of the way and the market will grow exponentially and the price will come down to where it should be. I could manufacture every single suppressor sold in a 20,000 square foot building as it stands right now and do it easily. Think about that.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie,

How many cans would you have to sell to recoup $250,000 in machining equipment? Be sure to factor in the material cost, G&A, depreciation, insurance, building, tooling, and maintenance of the $250k machinery. You are looking at that as a minimum you could easily put a numeral to the left of the 2.

Considering the FUBAR that S4F mentioned and this, it's a wonder that anyone even bothers making them. Get the .gov out of the way and the market will grow exponentially and the price will come down to where it should be. I could manufacture every single suppressor sold in a 20,000 square foot building as it stands right now and do it easily. Think about that.

I think if the government got out of the way there would be a huge explosion in sales but after a while people would figure out they can make their own for pretty cheap. It may not last as long but if you managed to make one for less than a 100 bucks it still would be cheaper than buying a manufactured one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom