Armalite .308 I shot one finally. My opinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy had a new never fired Armalite .308 in camo and with muzzle brake and carry handle.
It had the peep sights and had a scope mounted on top of the carry handle.

I have slobbered over the idea of owning an AR but could not bring myself to the point of buying one.
I shot a couple .223 ones at 50 yards and the accuracy was not what I felt was good enough to justify the cost over my bolt guns and the .223 is not Deer legal in some states.

Well I shot the .308 AR at 100yards easy enough. my 2 handloads were less than 1/2" apart. I then moved out to 200 yards..
Forget about accuracy through that tall mounted scope.. the slightest wind or movement really makes the aim point move.It was rocking 3" side to side I could not make it stop even with a front bag. It was sooo bad i did not even want to pull the trigger as i felt i was wasting ammo.

Now I was also noticing the pistol grip hangs much lower than my bolt and this does not feel good to me at all for shooting tiny groups.
Long magazine would be a big hindrance also for me.
I think i would like a regular rifle stock better.

Now if you want to play army man and take quick shots at targets larger than a lemon this would be great.

The thing was very smooth and cycled what I sent through it without a hiccup.

Glad I got to shoot an AR finally and try to wring some accuracy from it... but this tall mounted scope deal is a big NO GO for me.
Finding your brass is another issue as this thing will toss them different places and I can say for the ones I found they did not look too bad.
Just a very small dink in the side.. I have seen some really pound a deep crevice into the brass.

That is my opinion. maybe one day I will try a flat top.

But for now I am not slobbering to get one. Much happier with my bolt actions.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The next time you are toward Stillwater, give me a shout, I'll let you shoot mine. You will need a bib to keep the slobber off of the rifle.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lmao. I have a 6.8 spc with an adjustable gas block that will group the brass better than some rifles will group shots. I can also shoot sub moa groups with it. 10 round magazine fits fairly snug to the rifle.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel the gun I shot is very accurate and could be at longer ranges if the scope was moved down..but 5+" above the bore is just too high for me to be able to hold a tight group..and that pistol handle grip must take some getting used to..
I could not bag it at the rear..as my bag is not tall ..the front bag did not do much..
That scope up high was like the top of the trees when the wind is blowing,,swaying left to right.

I was able to hold up and down just fine..Maybe it takes getting used to.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel the gun I shot is very accurate and could be at longer ranges if the scope was moved down..but 5+" above the bore is just too high for me to be able to hold a tight group..and that pistol handle grip must take some getting used to..
I could not bag it at the rear..as my bag is not tall ..the front bag did not do much..
That scope up high was like the top of the trees when the wind is blowing,,swaying left to right.

I was able to hold up and down just fine..Maybe it takes getting used to.

Wow they mounted scope.on the carry handle. I prefer to call people who do that, rookies. Make suggestions about better methods, if they take the advice or not is up to them. They may not know any better.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was purchased by an older non military guy that got it for a good deal new and he then mounted a scope, as his eyes were not great.
But then he mothballed it and never even shot it.

He was selling it and his nephew asked me to take it out and shoot it and see how it acted and offer him a price for it if i liked it.
Well I sure did not like it that way.

Like stated if I feel I need one I need to try out a flattop.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not even price an upper until you said something.
I have never built or had an AR apart.. I offered way low for it as it was just not something I really liked and to me it is just another gun that sends a .308 projectile at a target.

Like a car ,,I need something to get from point A to B reliably and it does not take much money to get one of those.

With a gun I need to hit a target.. weather it be paper/ steel/ plastic/dirt or meat.. I just need to hit it where I aim.. don't take much money to do that.

I almost purchased a new 7000c3 fishing reel then came to my senses..I thought I have caught more fish on my zebco 33 and #9 penn than any reels I have.
Why do I need to spend 130 bucks to catch a fish.. I need to learn how to fish if that is the deal.
So I never got one.
That is how my little mind works.. can't help it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom