Armed When Answering Door???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably a very stupid question here....but would appreciate knowledgeable authoritative info....homeowner...doorbell rings...I don't know who is there, don't recognize them, so I open inside door with Condition 1 9mm held behind my back, invisible.
If it is inadvertently spotted by stranger, what hot water am I in at that point???
(No verbal threat exchanged, no warning given, just inadvertent visual)
Any help??

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably a very stupid question here....but would appreciate knowledgeable authoritative info....homeowner...doorbell rings...I don't know who is there, don't recognize them, so I open inside door with Condition 1 9mm held behind my back, invisible.
If it is inadvertently spotted by stranger, what hot water am I in at that point???
Any help??
I would think none. Personally. I don't have any legal basis for that, but you are allowed to carry openly even without a permit on your own property. I can't imagine anyone would be able to (successfully) press charges if you answer the door, in your own home, with a gun in your hand. I've done it multiple times. And I won't stop doing it.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any help??
No reason to draw on someone just because you don't know them if that's what you mean. Ask who it is and what they want through the door and have your gun on you. Though if you are going to draw while you answer you might as well take it seriously and have your gun presented fully instead of behind your back because it's not too much different from being holstered at that point. What's the point of a half measure when A) it's perfectly legal for it to be seen and B) you're evidently in dire fear for your life?

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I open my door around three one night with my pistol behind my back.

Two of my neighbors had been fighting .

Was a officer on the other side of the door... think he was as shocked as I was. He had the wrong house, I told him where to go and he left.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one comes by our place without calling, ever. If someone does make it past the gate and if theyre out, the dogs, and they are able to knock, I will always go to the door armed. Behind my back likely but I dont have to, its my property and my house and I dont have to if I dont want to but I would never brandish unless I felt threatened. Show, maybe, and then only slightly, but never brandish. If daytime I look out the peep and if the porch light is on then too- but if light is off at night I wouldnt turn it on to look, no way. I would just answer but with gun l&l and not visible.

A neighbor across the road apparently had had their car broken into one Saturday night, it was a bit before midnight. I have a gate you have to get thru to get up my drive and down to my place. I was watching TV with the surround on really loud and there was a very loud rap-rap-rap. I cut the sound with the remote and grabbed the G17 paperweight holding down the table which was my go-to at that point, shotgun was nearby the front door, other pistols and a rifle were here and there (I have em out until I go to sleep). The G17 wasnt l&l tho so I had to rack it as I was going down the hall to the foyer but didnt realize that I was so close to the door when I did because I suddenly heard the guy yell "COWETA POLICE DEPARTMENT". Alarm wasnt armed anyways being so early so I got the light on and locks unlocked pretty quick and the door open but I did not put my gun down until I stepped out and saw it was really the law. I then told him I was going to set it down on the bench on my porch and we stepped away to talk about the shiite across the road. Talked about if I heard or saw anything. Nope. All good, he left.

Another time the wife was in the hospital and her church friends husband came by to leave food. During the day. Didnt call first. Gate was left open. He made it up to the house, knocked. I went to door and looked out, didnt recognize him, opened the first wooden door with pistol in hand, was in my long unnerwear and Tshirt being winter. He looked right at the gun hanging to my side at that point and yelled thru the glass of the 2nd door that he was from my wifes church and was so and so's husband and brought food. I was like O cool come on in, then I told him I had to put my gun down then i would help him with the big box in his hand while he went to get another. He dropped that one off and dont remember if he said bye but he sure was in a hurry to leave. Wife said a few days later her and her friend had a giggle over it. The guy was a local math teacher and didnt own a gun or even like them and he was totally freaked out by me answering the door with one. Waaaa. Whatever.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol who thinks walking through someone's gated off yard up to their door when you only know the person through a friend is a good idea? You should post no trespassing signs and leave a notice to call the homeowners to gain access.

But fences only keep honest people out.

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All great responses, and each tell a story that's important to consider. I also appreciate the questions; thought-provoking at the least, and I'll be doing that.
Our specific location has a questionable social element that wanders to other homes, and sometimes they come to the wrong address, so I like to assure them they need to be somewhere else. Particularly after dark.
We've found police cruising the neighborhood only shifts the days/nights when the nomads come out....

Latest posts

Top Bottom