Army Surplus Tent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Went to check out the local Army Surplus store and ended up coming home with two shelter halves for 20 bucks. Any vets or former boy scouts have experience with these? I usually don't buy stuff on a whim but these were cheap and looked like they were in good shape.

warpusher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They work good enough for basic work...they put a little roof over you.

They are pretty easy to find. I preferred the aluminum poles and metal stakes over their wooden ones.

Its better to replace the guide ropes with 550 cord.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
During a brief stint as a scout (Made it to lifescout, no higher), I remember sleeping in these things frequently on weekend camping trips. Two memories stand out:

1) Mildewy canvas smells like shiat. Worse, they keep all smells 'in', which is a marked disadvantage when tenting with westernized diets.
2) They were hotter than a sunofagun.

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've got one, measured out a string to the length of the poles, and any time i use it, i just cut a couple limbs. saves a miniscule amount of weight and space.
i like 'em.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even though it's not a good idea to tent under trees... I like to tie mine into a branch is close... gets the poles out of the tent space. Shelter halfs come in handy... but you need a ground cloth with them if you like a floor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom