Army wants to dump the M9?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Desert Eagle has potential. It can blast through cinderblock walls. Those who advocate big bore should consider it against the 1911. While today's opponents for the most part don't wear body armor or flak jackets, they do attack from motor vehicles, and from behind walls. A .44 Magnum semi automatic with extra magazines ought to be considered. Right along with the FN. The selection for the M9 replacement should include the Desert Eagle and the Five seveN. As a compromise for die hard pistol cartridge fans, throw the 10mm in there, too. But for Pete's sake, there are more rounds out there besides .45 and 9mm. The 10mm is not getting the attention that it deserves.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
P.S. I've always been a good enough shot with a handgun that I was never really worried about caliber.

nice, that kinda kills the calibre debate.....8/

Thought that was the purpose. If your a decent shot, it really doesn't matter. I have pistols in a multitude of calibers, some I wouldn't carry into combat due to the platform not the caliber, but have never felt undergunned with any of them.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Curious... How many of you army guys actually carried and shot a handgun versus a rifle?

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

Not me. Except for some guard duty. Im not even sure if I had an A1, A2, A3.....like Bonner, I have carried both. I preferred the Beretta at the time. Now that im older I prefer the 1911.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Desert Eagle has potential. It can blast through cinderblock walls. Those who advocate big bore should consider it against the 1911. While today's opponents for the most part don't wear body armor or flak jackets, they do attack from motor vehicles, and from behind walls. A .44 Magnum semi automatic with extra magazines ought to be considered. Right along with the FN. The selection for the M9 replacement should include the Desert Eagle and the Five seveN. As a compromise for die hard pistol cartridge fans, throw the 10mm in there, too. But for Pete's sake, there are more rounds out there besides .45 and 9mm. The 10mm is not getting the attention that it deserves.

Junior, I find it hard to fathom that any soldier/marine would take a DE along with all the other gear and kit they need to survive on the battle field due to its weight. Soldier's/Marine's learn early on to go as light as possible when they have to hump that gear for several mile's. When it comes to that I'd prefer the sidearm to be as light as possible. Now I wouldn't want to go lower in caliber than .38/.357/9MM, but no heavier than a .45ACP platform( Not a 1911 either), such as my new Glock G-41.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Thought that was the purpose. If your a decent shot, it really doesn't matter. I have pistols in a multitude of calibers, some I wouldn't carry into combat due to the platform not the caliber, but have never felt undergunned with any of them.

Most I wouldnt carry in combat. Id rather carry more water n grenades n M16 magazines. Depends on terrain/structure I guess. I always felt undergunned after gettin shot at.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Junior, I find it hard to fathom that any soldier/marine would take a DE along with all the other gear and kit they need to survive on the battle field due to its weight. Soldier's/Marine's learn early on to go as light as possible when they have to hump that gear for several mile's. When it comes to that I'd prefer the sidearm to be as light as possible. Now I wouldn't want to go lower in caliber than .38/.357/9MM, but no heavier than a .45ACP platform( Not a 1911 either), such as my new Glock G-41.

I'm throwing that out there because of the incidents in which police and servicemen are saying pistol calibers are underpar. There are several handguns that shoot rifle calibers rather well. I know it will be a 9mm vs .45 faceoff. The FN 5.7 will tear them up. But there is the niche that will say it's just a hyped up .22 Hornet and is too small. So for that group there is the DE in resplendent .44 Magnum. The best dedicated cartridge made for semiautomatic handguns seems to be the 10mm, but its mainly 9mm vs .45 that I'm seeing.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm throwing that out there because of the incidents in which police and servicemen are saying pistol calibers are underpar. There are several handguns that shoot rifle calibers rather well. I know it will be a 9mm vs .45 faceoff. The FN 5.7 will tear them up. But there is the niche that will say it's just a hyped up .22 Hornet and is too small. So for that group there is the DE in resplendent .44 Magnum.

LOL!!!

Being somewhat old school, it wouldn't bother me to carry one of my Walther P38's as a secondary weapon.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Modular Handgun System" smells like something expensive and with lots of parts that need to be accounted for by the individual Servicemember. IIRC, Sig made/ makes a pistol that's modular, with different barrel/ slide combos and replaceable grip frames. Maybe that's the direction they're heading?

Other than dumping 9mm NATO caliber, few things are certain. I'd bet on at least partially polymer frame and corrosion resistant surfaces for the Steel parts. Double stack mag? My G21 grip fits my hand fine, but little hands might struggle. New caliber? New rounds besides ball, tracer & match? Standardized JHP for AT/CT, AP, bacon tipped?

Another certainty- As we mull this over from our keyboards, the major arms manufacturers are working hard. It's a huge financial success to win one of these contracts. Don't forget all the holsters/ rigs, lights, pointers, "New" cleaning supplies, ammo, etc... Many million$ will be made and new legions of fanboys will argue over various merits and problems.

Anyone know if the design requirements have gone out?

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about scandium, a largely aluminum alloy with no iron... Virtually maintenance free. S&W uses it, or used to.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

Latest posts

Top Bottom