Army wants to dump the M9?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPJustice

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think the difference between a 9mm, .40sw or .45acp FMJ makes a hill of beans. Use the 9mm, load as many rounds into it as you can get and go for it. Use a Glock or M&P and you are as well armed as possibly given the projectile restrictions.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this is the major issue. I know guys who have used their 9mm ball rounds in combat against an enemy combatant. they emptied their whole magazine into the guy because he wouldn't stop advancing.

Caliber is NOT the major issue. It's the Indian, not the arrow.

80% of the "problem" with the military's handgun program is training. They need to fix that first.

prwillard2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

80% of the "problem" with the military's handgun program is training. They need to fix that first.

I wasn't trying to imply that caliber was the issue. I'm a 9mm fan. The issue is the FMJ ball rounds we use for defense and our inability to use JHP rounds.

I also agree that pistol training for 99% of military personnel is inadequate. I'm a Marine Officer and most Marines think the issue is the pistol because they, "shoot the 1911 great". Our pistol training is terrible as well. Our qualification course has absolutely no tactical/self defense qualities. I also teach Army Lts at Fort Sill and the Army doesn't provide them pistol training as part of their initial training. It's all done at their first duty station.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even back on the 70's you got 4 hours of actual range time with the 1911. You got ten hours or so of class time to learn field stripping, cleaning, etc., in AIT.

You were given a field issue at your final deployment if you wanted to carry one. Most didn't as they wanted to carry other items.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here Here on the historical lack of practical shooting training in the rank & file Military. I've been retired for over a decade and hope things have improved since. When in, I learned that outside of USASOC, no one was spending the time and ammo with experienced trainers. Many Infantrymen and their Officers struggled with both 1911 and M9. Running ranges could be hazardous to your health, and if running the ranges for ROTC Advanced Camp Cadets, NG or support staff, it was definitely hazardous to be up on the line.
I hope that the Army and USMC will someday get 100% of Infantrymen to the point of being at least competitive in a "3 gun" (Pistol, rifle, LMG) type training program. The caliber issues would be less of an issue, more bad guys would bleed and more good guys would return home.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I couldn't have said it better. If you don't have handgun training prior to joining the military, your not going to get any once in. I'm still in the camp that all Infantry soldiers should be issued a sidearm along with their rifle, and highly trained in both platforms. Training with the basic rifle still isn't where it should be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom