ATI 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This gun has been great until last trip to the range, about 2 magz in the front sight flew the coop!! Have trijicons and a site pusher on the way and I am in the process of making a front sight stake tool from the directions in my armorers field manual. Wanted better sights anyway and this just made it a need instead of a want.
Have never staked a sight anybody here have any experience with this that can give me any items to be aware of? Seems pretty straight forward but!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be cautious of the front sight dovetail being out of spec since you have experienced that failure.
The sight should be tough to drive/push in.
I bought a Dawson rear sight awhile back for the M&P that wasn't the right model for the gun but close. It took hours of light filing, and finally honing to fit the sight to the dovetail.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From your question your talking standard GI front sight as opposed to a drive in dovetail?

For a GI sight post you will have to do some filing of the sight leg to get it to fit in the hole.
sometimes you get lucky and can shear/stake it in one whack .
Make sure you put this in a vise. The sight needs to be unmovable when you whack it.
The bottom of slide against one jaw and front sight against the other jaw.

Personally I'd take it to someone and have them mill a dovetail for a sight like the Tactical model has.

I really hated GI style front sights, As I would break off the leg about half the time why trying to stake it
or it would fly off after a few rounds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom