Attn: AK Builders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to build my own AK, and need input on what to buy. What kind of flats, parts kits, etc. I know nothing about AKs, I had a WASR one time, and sold it, but would like to build my own.

There are several flats listed here, but I don't know what to buy. I want a typical AK, but want a decent barrel that won't expand like my WASR did.

http://ak-builder.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=62

Also, does anyone have the bending jigs on here that would rent them to me to do the bends? I don't want to invest in the jigs for just a couple of AKs, but would be glad to pay someone to use one if they have it.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 kits I need to build and am a rookie myself. I have 80% receivers from Cold Steel but there's a lot of work in going that route. As far as the actual kits, they have skyrocketed in price but for quality I've heard that the Polish variants are nice. The Yugos are good except the barrel since they are not chrome lined and they shot corrosive ammo for the most part. Some Yugos still have a decent bore however.

There are some forums on AK building and I'd imagine they have bending jig rental but I bet the wait would be long. I was thinking about building my own rivet tool since I don't want to do a screw build.

For some very cool tips on AK building, go to Youtube and search for "buildyourownak". I'd like to find some other locals interested in some AK builds so maybe others will jump in.

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go the ar 15 . com. They have a thread on the exchange. Some one is wanting to sell all his tools for 330.00 shipped. Offer him 300.00 shipped. That would be a good deal. Buy 100% receiver from nodak. Would try bending your receiver with your first build.
Thanks
daddy-o

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go the ar 15 . com. They have a thread on the exchange. Some one is wanting to sell all his tools for 330.00 shipped. Offer him 300.00 shipped. That would be a good deal. Buy 100% receiver from nodak. Would try bending your receiver with your first build.
Thanks
daddy-o

On the old EE or the new EE? What category is it listed in? I can't find it, and might be interested. :thanku:

daddy-o

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be the correct link. I bought my rivet jig off of akfiles its a plinker style but basically the same. If I didn't already have one I would buy it. What ak are you building?

Latest posts

Top Bottom