Auto Hunter Prototype

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished the prototype auto hunter today, I'm about 75% happy with it. I guess, I thought I would just knock the first one out of the park...lol. I learned a lot from making this one, Along with this learning curve I had to figure out how to use a lathe at the same time, any way it works good, there is a tiny bit of play in the open locked position I hope I have figured out a way to correct this, time will tell, it will not close without pushing the button.

a break down of parts and sizes
blade is 1/8" stock thickness cpms-35vn stainless
bolsters are 416 stainless
liners are 410 stainless
spacer/stop bar is 440c stainless
scales are camo g-10
303 stainless screws, pins, and pivots

7 1/4" total
blade is 3 1/8" from leading edge of bolsters

I had plans on making this one out of nicer materials but decided to just finish it and carry it as a field test/prototype as it didn't pass my initial expectations and therefor didn't want to spend any more time or money on fit and finish.

here is a video of it in action

randallss7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have to work out a better locking method, and at the rate it takes me to make a lock back folder I cant even tell you when I will attempt the 2nd one. I have always wanted a classic stiletto style auto and have started on one of those so that will be my next experimental knife. I'm about 1/2 way finished with a standard lock back folder very similar the to auto, just need to heat treat the blade and lock bar and decide on scale materials.

Latest posts

Top Bottom