Awww crap!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have worked on a few revolvers doing minor repairs and internal cleaning before and never had a problem, but this one is driving me nuts. It is an old Taurus M66 357 that I have had for years. My wife claimed it a few years ago and kept it in her side of the headboard. I got her a smaller revolver like she has been wanting and got my 66 back.

To make a long story somewhat shorter, swinging out the cylinder is very stiff for some reason. I removed the side plate to see if I could find the problem without luck, and now I can not get the side plate back on correctly. It is a 4 screw model and I have gotten the hand in the slot with the little spring loaded plunger and lined up with the trigger just fine, but for some reason the plate will not seat all the way and I know better than to force it.

Everything seems to be in place and fully seated so any ideas might help.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try putting the hammer in different positions? :anyone:

Tried that. To me it seems like maybe the hand is not seating all the way down. I found a video which helped me fix the cylinder crane problem but it did not help get the side plate correct.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is like the side plates on a S&W 19 or 66, align the tabs and the plate will sit slightly at an angle. Then take the handle of a screwdriver and gently tap it down into place.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is like the side plates on a S&W 19 or 66, align the tabs and the plate will sit slightly at an angle. Then take the handle of a screwdriver and gently tap it down into place.

Slightly different. I have worked on a few S&W and never had a problem getting things back together. When I get a chance tonight I am going to see if I can spot a hole in the other side the pin on the hand is supposed to line up in. That is the only thing I can think of at this time. everything else looks to be in position.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Video no workie. So sorry, I can't offer any help. I would have beat the thing into submission by now I'm afraid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom