Backup weapon knife or gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you carry for a backup weapon

• Another Gun

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • A knife

Votes: 109 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a TDI in addition to my 9mm, and train frequently with both. I feel that for me, personally, carrying any more hinders my ability to focus training time. If I had several hours a day to train every day, maybe I'd carry/practice with more. I don't know...

I like what someone said about the mind being the primary weapon. I am far more concerned that I'll do something stupid and get my family into a bad situation than about my pistol/knife/abilities all failing.

Interesting thread.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I am no knife fighter, but I did get a chance in My youth to train with a Guy named Mike Echanis...who was killed in Nicaragua fighting the good fight, and everything he taught me about edged weapons not only mirrors what Mike Brown has posted but accentuated it! Mikes post is by far the best I have seen on Edged weapon use!!! If it comes to using a knife think of yourself as a "La Machine/Cusinart" and just keep stabbing and slicing untill they don't move anymore! Scary and messy...but never stop!!! As for a B.U.G. Hell yes AND a KNIFE!!!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it is true that the information posted is debatable, the idea that you can cut tendons to impair function, much less large muscle groups like the biceps and triceps with a knife is pretty unlikely.

The knives that most of us carry i.e. 5" blades and under are essentially "hand assistors", nothing more.

If you have a bolo, Bowie, or kukri then the idea of cutting tendons and large muscle groups comes into play but disabling those with the knives we carry is unlikely.

I have seen somewhere on the order of 3-5 stabbings/cuttings each week for over 15 years and hospital personnel in the ER see more and I have yet to see a cutting (as opposed to stabbing) that occurred with anything smaller than a sword that disabled a body part or muscle group.

I've had the pleasure of taking care of several knife wounds which did indeed cut arteries or tendons, so it can happen. Of course, they don't even call me with the minor ones, so as for frequency that a knife wound actually causes disability, I can't comment.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had the pleasure of taking care of several knife wounds which did indeed cut arteries or tendons, so it can happen. Of course, they don't even call me with the minor ones, so as for frequency that a knife wound actually causes disability, I can't comment.

But did it DISABLE that body part during the conflict?

That is the issue.

Surely we can cut arteries and tendons. But we must be able to DISABLE not just cut.

Also, have you had many occasions to see the weapon used to do the cutting? If so, it runs contrary to my conversations with most ER physicians but it is not my area of expertise.

When I have seen disabling cuts of large muscle groups it has always been with a small sword rather than a folding knife.

Either way, my position is not that it CAN'T happen but rather it is most liekly not going to happen and those interested in personal protection with a knife are better off with a point driven methodology than an edge driven one.

Michael Brown

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My primary weapon is not listed.

Primary is my heavy walking cane. It is quick to bring into play and effective in making a human or other animal back off.
Secondary is my firearm.
Third is my folding knife that I carry mostly for other tasks.

Michael

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I had a choice, my secondary weapon would be this......
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f48_patrickcudd_IMG_0789.jpg

But to to the infinite wisdom of our legislators.... I can carry a gun, but not this!!!:rtfm:

Latest posts

Top Bottom