Backup weapon knife or gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you carry for a backup weapon

• Another Gun

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • A knife

Votes: 109 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen somewhere on the order of 3-5 stabbings/cuttings each week for over 15 years and hospital personnel in the ER see more and I have yet to see a cutting (as opposed to stabbing) that occurred with anything smaller than a sword that disabled a body part or muscle group.

This. And it can't be said often enough. I'm one of the former hospital personnel...

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I glanced through this whole thread looking to see if someone pointed it out, and maybe I missed it, but I was told in class that Knives weren't allowed to be carried as a back-up??? Since I don't carry a long blade, I am more the slasher type, lol, since I carry one of those folding box blade knives, which comes in handy more for work than anything else so far, thank Goodness.

bulletbiter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm also wondering of the legalities of carrying more than one concealed weapon. I was under the impression that we could only carry one CCW. That said, I do carry a leatherman (not as backup, but it's still a knife), and also will try to carry a small but powerful stun gun when possible for non-lethal situations (also when 'showing' a CCW might still be ill-advised legally or tactically).

As far as blades go, i'll sub a folder for the leatherman when weight is an issue but again, what are the legal limits of carrying a knife (ie. size of blade, size of overall knife). I know different law enforcement officers cite different sizes (blade width of palm, 6 inches overall, etc) so it's a bit confusing. I'd really like to carry the larger CRKT M16 but would hate to get it confiscated.

Also, is carrying a 2nd firearm legal? I've considered carrying a pocket 380 (Ruger LCP in the Loopers holder) as a backup.

Question for the LEO's here. If you did a routine stop (traffic or otherwise) on a person with a CCW and found that they carried a primary, secondary, and a folding knife on their persons, what would be your reaction?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
<<<<<
<<<<< easier reloads..like was said defensive knives are for ..stabbing
.folding knives are for everything else
I dont remember the SDA saying you can carry only one gun..I think it says"a gun"
.A gun on my hip
.A gun in my pocket
.A gun on my ankle
. etc.
.as long as it is concealed

Latest posts

Top Bottom