Backup weapon knife or gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you carry for a backup weapon

• Another Gun

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • A knife

Votes: 109 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have found that among street cops there is some confusion or differing opinions as to what is a legal knife. I had a few confiscated during stops in my younger years. Something to consider if you are carrying a nice blade.

Michael

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it is true that the information posted is debatable, the idea that you can cut tendons to impair function, much less large muscle groups like the biceps and triceps with a knife is pretty unlikely.

The knives that most of us carry i.e. 5" blades and under are essentially "hand assistors", nothing more.

If you have a bolo, Bowie, or kukri then the idea of cutting tendons and large muscle groups comes into play but disabling those with the knives we carry is unlikely.

I have seen somewhere on the order of 3-5 stabbings/cuttings each week for over 15 years and hospital personnel in the ER see more and I have yet to see a cutting (as opposed to stabbing) that occurred with anything smaller than a sword that disabled a body part or muscle group.

This does not mean that such cuts will not cause psychological stops which are far more likely and most likely what are observed by those who claim to have witnessed a physically disabling cut.

What this means for knife use is that you generally want your knife methodology to be point-driven rather than edge-driven i.e. stabbing vs. cutting, and you want to target the same places you would if you were using your hands to strike i.e. the face/throat and the genitals.

A simple way to remember is that you want to drive the point to a place where the suspect: a) sees b) breathes c) breeds, until you achieve the desired result.

A knife has no shock effect like a bullet i.e. rapidly expanding gasses so the only power a knife has is that with which you drive it.

Michael Brown

Since the thread is brought back ... a quote was due for +100

Here is my 2 cents:
"Knife is a weapon" is a 21st century fad that created a market niche and "experts". Humanoids figured out that you need mass or reach to call something a weapon.
Speaking of "experts" - a few times in the thread training is brought up. IMHO unless you have access to human cadavers, knife training is 99.9% waste of time. Unlike real weapons that have energy/inertia, knife interacts differently depending on a target - I mean, what other "weapon" can be stopped by a matchbook? Yes it sucks if gun fails, another gun would be optimal; anything else is just clawing for your deer life - knife gives you a sharp claw ... a street rock gives you a hand axe ... opposable thumbs give you ability to choke and fish-hook.... yeah when you are that deep in poo something is better than nothing.

Insureyourself

Marksman
Reaction score
Both! It depends on the surroundings. Close quarters sometimes dictates the used of an edged weapon. A firearm usually is more threatening, but if you have ever dealt with a cutting not stabbing victim, you will see that both are devastating. Both are legal to carry in most situations, so it is necessary to employ both.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand the current oklahoma knife laws any fixed blade by description (the description covers everything that I could think of) not being carried during stuff like hunting and fishing. I've been wanting to carry a neck knife but not in Oklahoma...it's insane, our knife laws are much stricter than our gun laws.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand the current oklahoma knife laws any fixed blade by description (the description covers everything that I could think of) not being carried during stuff like hunting and fishing. I've been wanting to carry a neck knife but not in Oklahoma...it's insane, our knife laws are much stricter than our gun laws.

Thats why im always Huntin....dont remember neck knife being in there

xtremepilot

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
In higher threat situations, I carry a SA XD40SC and a LCP380 with CT laser grip, and a folding H&K blade. Otherwise its just one of the guns. I read an article from a secret service agent years ago that said besides the weapon, extra ammo is the next most important thing to carry....so the extra magazine (or two for the 380) are in the opposite side pocket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom