Backup weapon knife or gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you carry for a backup weapon

• Another Gun

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • A knife

Votes: 109 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a time I would have said "gun" and not given this any more thought. However, after being grabbed from behind by a fella and not being able to get to my gun (and believe me, I tried) I wonder if a knife might not have been handy.

Luckily I had Jackie with me. She took the toad (a co-worker) to the ground in short order. Then we took the toad to the hospital. He left the employment of that company a short while later.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There was a time I would have said "gun" and not given this any more thought. However, after being grabbed from behind by a fella and not being able to get to my gun (and believe me, I tried) I wonder if a knife might not have been handy.

Luckily I had Jackie with me. She took the toad (a co-worker) to the ground in short order. Then we took the toad to the hospital. He left the employment of that company a short while later.

Yikes! I don't know who Jackie is, but props to her. IMHO people seriously under estimate the capabilities of the knife.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yikes! I don't know who Jackie is, but props to her. IMHO people seriously under estimate the capabilities of the knife.

Hell, to tell you the truth I would have been happy with one of those surefire flashlights to drive into his nose ... but ... I learn all my lessons the hard way! :oops3::homer:

She is a GSD I adopted after she hurt her back and they retired her from Schutzhund comps. I have been told by those who watched her work that in her hey day there was not a dog on the circuit that could beat her.

(See pics in the GSD photo thread BigThumper started. She is almost 12 now and the highlight of her day is playing with Preston -- the neighbor's 2 yo grandson and getting treats.)

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Live (hopefully) and learn. Sounds like Jackie did well! IMO a GSD is a fine backup.
And to the question that was asked, yes I have heard of people using BUGs. HaVe you heard of a firearm failing?

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Live (hopefully) and learn. Sounds like Jackie did well! IMO a GSD is a fine backup.
And to the question that was asked, yes I have heard of people using BUGs. HaVe you heard of a firearm failing?

Neither GC (who has a LOT more experience with this stuff than I do) nor I have ever heard of a firearm failing to fire in a self-defense situation. Talk about a sickening feeling ... :giveup:

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither GC (who has a LOT more experience with this stuff than I do) nor I have ever heard of a firearm failing to fire in a self-defense situation. Talk about a sickening feeling ... :giveup:

My comment about weapons failing wasn't directed at you, but the guy who asked if we heard about anyone using a backup. I just got lazy after I quoted you about your GSD. The only time I've heard about a non LE/mil using a backup in SD was in a somethat similar instance you had, the primary was inaccessable. I've heard numerous LE/Mil types using backups. I also heard of one where a BG engaged officers after shooting his wife. After a couple shots his 1911 failed after being clogged with meat/blood/dirt and the officers flanked and 'neutralized' him while he was trying to clear his malfunction. Luckily he didn't have a BUG.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never heard of a gun failing in a defense situation. And I pack a Glock. Those don't typically fail much.
No but Glocks do fail, I've seen it myself. I love them, but they're made by us mortals. I have heard of/ seen weapons fail in training and I would like to have the ability to atleast evicerate someone if my primary fails and I'm trying to stay alive. And for instances where in unable to deploy my primary. It's all personal preference though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom