Backup weapon knife or gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you carry for a backup weapon

• Another Gun

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • A knife

Votes: 109 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
GED has posted it in places here on OSA as have I and others "2 is one, 1 is none!!!!!". Two guns, two knives. As for stabbing, unless you have no choice, slashing is the prefered method, an I would suggest you learn some anatomy, as to muscle structure, arterial areas of the body, and such. Once learned and practiced, you can put a BG down rather quick with a couple of good slash's. This is where serrated blades like the Spyderco really shine's. Stay away from the chest area, and concentrate your efforts on the arms, and legs. I would suggest reading "Kill or get Killed" by Rex Applegate. Its all about doing the down and dirty to your opponent.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My comment about weapons failing wasn't directed at you, but the guy who asked if we heard about anyone using a backup. I just got lazy after I quoted you about your GSD. The only time I've heard about a non LE/mil using a backup in SD was in a somethat similar instance you had, the primary was inaccessable. I've heard numerous LE/Mil types using backups. I also heard of one where a BG engaged officers after shooting his wife. After a couple shots his 1911 failed after being clogged with meat/blood/dirt and the officers flanked and 'neutralized' him while he was trying to clear his malfunction. Luckily he didn't have a BUG.

Oh, duh! LOL

YIKES ... I don't carry a BUG but I can't tell you the last time I went anywhere without someone else who carries also. All my friends have conceal carry licenses and sometimes we have to giggle when we go out at how many guns are sitting in purses or on persons at one table.

There were 4 of us at dinner last night, 3 of us were armed. :wink2:

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither GC (who has a LOT more experience with this stuff than I do) nor I have ever heard of a firearm failing to fire in a self-defense situation. Talk about a sickening feeling ... :giveup:

Look a little harder.

Two occurred to OKC PD in recent memory and we have had one in Tulsa in recent memory.

Machines are only as good as those who manufacture and maintain them.

Michael Brown

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually carry a G-19 and a fixed blade knife.
Used to carry lots of stuff..
I found out that its very hard to keep up with lots of stuff when someone is kicking your a##.
The fixed blade is tops in my kit. I can have it on 99.9% of the time in the places I go.
Thanks to Mr. Brown, Brandon, Dave, TJ, Ron and others for helping me with these things.
A backup tool... Always!

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a TDI small LE knife now. Dave at Infight Access Kydex made me custom IWB sheath. I wear it behind my mags on duty also.
[Broken External Image]

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, duh! LOL

YIKES ... I don't carry a BUG but I can't tell you the last time I went anywhere without someone else who carries also. All my friends have conceal carry licenses and sometimes we have to giggle when we go out at how many guns are sitting in purses or on persons at one table.

There were 4 of us at dinner last night, 3 of us were armed. :wink2:

or instances like texas road house? we need to do something like that again - get a good dinner out and get some laughs again....

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wear it behind my mags on duty also.
I'm not a fan of this. BGs know cops do this, and some of them train to take the knife and use it against you. I like the idea of the TDI because it is similar to a kerambit, I'm just not sold on wearing it behind the mags.

Latest posts

Top Bottom