Backup weapon knife or gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you carry for a backup weapon

• Another Gun

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • A knife

Votes: 109 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI the three incidents I refer to above were all Glocks.

I am a fervent Glock fan but Glocks are not impervious to neglect of maintainance.

Michael Brown

Also, muzzle contact forces most semi-autos out of battery. So don't jam your firearm into an attacker and expect it to fire unless its a revolver.

kriket1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I
GED has posted it in places here on OSA as have I and others "2 is one, 1 is none!!!!!". Two guns, two knives. As for stabbing, unless you have no choice, slashing is the prefered method, an I would suggest you learn some anatomy, as to muscle structure, arterial areas of the body, and such. Once learned and practiced, you can put a BG down rather quick with a couple of good slash's. This is where serrated blades like the Spyderco really shine's. Stay away from the chest area, and concentrate your efforts on the arms, and legs. I would suggest reading "Kill or get Killed" by Rex Applegate. Its all about doing the down and dirty to your opponent.

Unfortunately that is outdated information. As new research by Michael janich (a leading edged weapons teacher and lifelong practitioner) and Chris Grosz (God rest his sole) have proven that fairbairnn's "timetable of death" was flawed. Their studies have shown that targeting the carotid artery will actually take a full minute to truly stop an attacker through blood loss. Wail according to fairbairn, a severed carotid would produce unconscious in 5 seconds and death in 12. Wail bleeding people out people might not be an affective way of ending a fight ,it will eventually cause death. A much more effective way to stop a fight is to go for the structural integrity of the body, such as major muscle groups/tendons. That way you ether destroy their ability to Effectively hold a weapon or stopping their mobility. If you cut tendons that's instant loss of function in any body part that tendon is controlling. Wen you cut major muscle groups like biceps/triceps they may still have some mobility but no strength to grip a weapon. Same with the leg's. As for the blade issue a plain edge is far superior to a fully serrated , the reasoning behind this is that serrated edge will grab loose clothing and pull it along with the blade instead of cutting through it, and wen multiple layer's are involved the blade tends to get clogged. Now if you come across a necked bad Guy that's not really an issue, but if their necked they are probably on pcp and a knife is not going to help you anyway.

To the original question, I carry a g23 as my primary a kimber ultra crimson carry as a backup in a maxpedition sitka with a a Fred parrin ppf combat knife iwb weak side (a purpose built fighting knife) a perrin la griffe ankle iwb strong side (a purpose built sd knife) and a perrin neck Bowie neck carry a last ditch type of knife. As well as a surefire e2d and some o.c. I have minimal edged weapons training but have not attended any classes since I left kalifornia. Does anyone know where to obtain quality training in the Lawton okc area?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I actually got through it; I'm unfortunately rather fluent in reading hillbilly and/or txtspk. This appears to be written via smartphone, with no spell checking.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
pair of blind horse knives batwings on my feet

spyderco police 3 in my off hand side pocket

so three knives

this is my work set up. Minus all the other junk on my belt.

off duty....whatever floats my boat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom