bad barrel or other gremlins?...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess span was the wrong term. If you're using rings, is one on the upper receiver and the other on the handguard? Or if using amount does it cross over the joint of the upper and HG?

gotcha.. the rings are on the upper, NOT joining the two. good idea though never thought about that.

doorgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know your trying to figure out if its the scope or rifle, so let me ask this;doe the rifle have any type of back up or iron sights? If the answer is yes, totally remove the scope from the equation. Set up a target at 25 yards( you heard right) and fire 5 rounds, do not adjust the sights between rounds. Then see where you hit, adjust and do it again. If all the shoots are in what you would call an acceptable group ( everybody has their own idea on what that is), then it's your scope or mounts. If it still is all over the place, it's the rifle. Now is where the utility of ar's come into play. Borrow another persons rifle( if you don't know anybody, there are plenty of people here that will meet you for this), and swap the uppers and lowers of the rifles. This should narrow down things even more. You can now isolate the problem to either the upper components or lower components.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^ all good info. i understand the close range of shooting, unfortunantly the gun has no iron sites, just a flat rail.
plans/ideas...

1.) try a hotter round and see what that does.
2.) i'm going to be able to have it looked over this weekend by a friend who is a lot more familiar with AR line.

in the mean time i took my scope off my rifle (bolt action .223) and trialed both of his scopes; Center Point, Nikon BDC and both were good on groups. so i have defiantly narrowed it down to the gun mechanics.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
walmart has new dpms rifles for $587

your problem is probably in the barrel attaching to the upper. just cause the nuts tight don't mean much if the barrel extension to upper tolerence is not tight. it can still wobble with a tight nut.
throw in a loose upper to lower wobble and you could get 6" groups real easy.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try the 55 grain, and then a much heavier bullet. I'm thinking the heavier bullet may work. Strange deal, but it will get worked out.

in the beginning of all this we were using 55grain. he told me tuesday that he bought a couple different grains. so what we will do is hang poster board up at 100yrd. i will put a black dot in the center as a point of interest. aim at that POI and shoot and see if grouping can occur, then move onto the next round. really not worry or care about sighting in at 100yrd, just see if grouping can occur. if that fails, then we will take the rifle over to my friend who mess' with AR's and give him something to do...lol

Hog Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would be what I would do, try your different bullet weights and see what it will do. I have worked on several cheap/kit ARs that shoot 2" groups with the right bullet, most of the issues were buffer, spring or magazine related saying that they were accurate just wouldn't run consistently. If yours won't shoot pull the upper apart and see what the individual parts fit like.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All you keep saying is 55 grain ammo, but WHAT KIND IS IT? I wouldn't be surprised by this size of group from Wolf, Monarch, Silver Bear, Brown Bear...etc. any of the old com block steel cased stuff, and some lower end re manufactured junk. WHAT KIND OF AMMO, WHO MADE IT???

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you keep saying is 55 grain ammo, but WHAT KIND IS IT? I wouldn't be surprised by this size of group from Wolf, Monarch, Silver Bear, Brown Bear...etc. any of the old com block steel cased stuff, and some lower end re manufactured junk. WHAT KIND OF AMMO, WHO MADE IT???

Well, yeah. But cant we over complicate things first?
Seriously though, I could have sworn i read federal, but i just re read the thread and cant find it.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is a good point. I witnessed this first hand a week or so ago. Dad was shooting XM193 standing, 50yds, and getting about 4-5" grouping (he's still super new to the AR). Switched to a mag of TULA and groups went to 8-9", no lie!

Latest posts

Top Bottom