bad barrel or other gremlins?...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyson C.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All you keep saying is 55 grain ammo, but WHAT KIND IS IT? I wouldn't be surprised by this size of group from Wolf, Monarch, Silver Bear, Brown Bear...etc. any of the old com block steel cased stuff, and some lower end re manufactured junk. WHAT KIND OF AMMO, WHO MADE IT???

easy big guy, easy...lol. i apologize for not saying, at first we started off with some Remmington, i never really posted that i think. BUT that is what i tested with. THEN he brought out some cheap stuff (steel case can't remember the brand), i told him that the cheap ammo is going to be an issue, so it was never fired. TRUST ME i understand what cheapo ammo can do. i shot WOLF once, just for the hellva of it and just once and never again.my .223 is a tack driver throw in some WOLF and hitting the paper then becomes your concern.

i wasn't wanting to make things complicated by simply saying all the ammo was good; must be the gun. i was just curious with this being my first problem like this with an AR, so that is why i asked. (if it wasn't the ammo, what else could it be was my thinking). i took it for granted that i usually use good ammo, in my opinion. we mostly have Remmington and Winchester ammo around. I have sighted my fair share of rifles in over the last 5yrs since having my range. i know that ammo makes worlds of difference. so i apologize by not giving dead on details. thats why i thought in the back of my mind to do a heavier load and or hand load a few. i have yet to tear the gun down and see whats up till i shot a different load through it.

THE OUTCOME-- 65 grain solved the problem. this weekend he came out and he had some hand loaded 65grain (IMR 4895 powder, 22 grains, and also some at 23 grains, Sierra .65 grain FMJ boat tail bullet.) cause he could not find anything good on the "need now" basis. with better results the gun did 1"--1.5" groups at 100yrds. we did 6 groups with each being 6 shots, shooting and cleaning as need be. he is pretty much happy with it, so its all his now to take out all the coyotes he wants.

sorry for the lack of info on my end but i do greatly appreciate all the insight and help.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any FMJ is suspect in my opinion. I have had real good batches of the Remington 55 FMJ stuff and some that wouldn't hit the side of a barn, same with American eagle and XM193. When testing for accuracy always go with a good quality bullet, Sierra, Nosler, Hornady, something other than a bulk type bullet. I have a couple of cases of A.E. right now that won't group well in any barrrel I have tried them in, 6-8" at 100 yards , but the brass is good :)

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loose barrel nut or bad ammo - kinda hard to make 223 shoot 6" at 100 yards.

+1 for me

I built an AR for my dad a few years ago with an Oly Lower and a Gun Show special upper and barrel. He scoped it and put thirty or so rounds through it and said, "the barrel is no good, it won't zero or group". I took the gun and shot my reloads through it and was shooting jagged holes at 100 yds. He was using some wolf ammo he had ordered. I took a couple of boxes of the wolf ammo and sure enough it wouldn't shoot for anything.
I pulled all the bullets from a box of the wolf ammo, and found that none of the bullets weighed within .5 of a grain and actually had some of them that were over 2 grain diff. Then I weighed all of the powder from the rounds I pulled and the weights were way off from oned to another. Over 2 grain difference from least to most.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to hear the problem was solved with the least complicated option of changing the bullet weight.

Thanks for the update.

So my earlier suggestion of using a heavier bullet was the ticket?

Did you actually check the twist, no matter what was engraved on the barrel?

Put a mark on a cleaning rod 12" from the tip. Count how many times it revolves when it travels down the barrel.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my earlier suggestion of using a heavier bullet was the ticket?

Did you actually check the twist, no matter what was engraved on the barrel?

Put a mark on a cleaning rod 12" from the tip. Count how many times it revolves when it travels down the barrel.

If you think that's what twist rate means and how to "measure" it, then .... wow... just wow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoCNZBlRGQ

Latest posts

Top Bottom