Banking Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be needing a local bank. Right now, my two banks have no locations here in OK.

Once upon a time, we used Bank of America. I don’t want to go back to them for a variety of reasons that include virtue signaling and tossing the liberal salad du jour.

Are there any banks that I should stay away from ... what banks would you recommend?

Thanks!

Don't get tied to one financial institution. Shop around for different services.

I use credit unions for day to day finances because I pay no fees for services. I have one for everyday transactions because they have a branch in the building I work in. So it's convenient to walk down there to discuss something. With technology, not all banking needs to be done in person. Some transfers, check deposits, balance checks, etc can be done online. The issue with this credit union is the limited transfers they will allow online.

I use a second credit union for loans, if I need them, like auto loans. It's a lot cheaper to borrow from TFCU than most other places I've found. In fact, my last mortgage was 1.99% before I paid it off.

Also, on my last auto loan, I competitively bid both of my credit unions after getting the loan from the dealer. I borrowed through the dealer because the gave me $2,500 to borrow through them, that was on a Saturday. On Monday, I talked to both of my credit unions and got a very low rate and they paid me to transfer my loan from the dealership which effectively lowered the interest I paid even more.

Use online banks for savings. Vio bank is paying .57% with their High Yield Savings account. Synchrony was paying the most until I found Vio. A trick I found when making electronic deposits in Vio. ACH transfers take several days for the funds to be available, they are in the account, just not available for withdrawal. With wire transfers, the funds are available the next day. I use my brokerage account to make transfers occasionally. They must do free wire transfers because the funds are available the next day in Vio.

You can sign up for the ability to transfer between institutions and that makes it nice. Keep your liquid funds in Vio and a checking account in a credit union and transfer funds when needed.

Oh, and I have a separate credit union account I use for online stuff like paypal. I keep very little money in it in case of fraud.

Latest posts

Top Bottom