Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KG5VW

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently bought a Baofeng UV-5R on amazon, only $22 and it actually appears to be a well made device. I was able to tune in to NOAA weather radio (No big deal, 162.400 megahertz) but find it lacking with many of the frequencies found in radioreference.com. Only periodically get a set of digital beeps on the stations using the "Scan" channels feature. Also does receive FM, but who really cares. Are all police and fire digital or encrypted now? Are there other HAM radio users here? Are their any frequencies worth tuning in to? Did I just blow $22? Should I get a HAM License?
If you got that ham license you would not be asking many of those questions and would gain the knowledge needed to be able to use the radio fully, within the boundaries of its capabilities. You would also learn about the different communication protocols that hams and commercial radios use that are beyond the capabilities of that model radio. Not to sound like a smart ass but without the simplicity of channels like CB and GMRS with compatible modes of operation you have to kind of understand the principles of radio communications and propagation.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a simple respect thing. We try to follow the rules of laws, and yes, unwritten rules.
It’s the difference between todays generation and earlier generations.
Then why use the baofeng?
It’s not supported by the FCC.
They deem it illegal.
You do not discourage its use.
It has nothing to do with respect cause if it did you would follow your own advice.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Then why use the baofeng?
It’s not supported by the FCC.
They deem it illegal.
You do not discourage its use.
It has nothing to do with respect cause if it did you would follow your own advice.
If you do a little research, baofengs are not illegal to use for amateur radio operators.
They are illegal to send/sale to the US market in the wide open settings. Baofeng gets around this by crippling the radio with software. It is just more silly games that get played .
The radio was also found legal to operate on gmrs as well..
There is a whole bunch of info our there about this .
Personally I have set up my 3 fengs to listen to satellite, noaa and air...
I have better quality radios to use for ham and gmrs.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do a little research, baofengs are not illegal to use for amateur radio operators.
They are illegal to send/sale to the US market in the wide open settings. Baofeng gets around this by crippling the radio with software. It is just more silly games that get played .
The radio was also found legal to operate on gmrs as well..
There is a whole bunch of info our there about this .
Personally I have set up my 3 fengs to listen to satellite, noaa and air...
I have better quality radios to use for ham and gmrs.
Just more games they play.
It’s like the US government wants to dumb us down so much yet make us think we have the power to think while turn is against each other