barrel swap on SBR ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmmoSpydr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am asking if anyone has been able to swap barrel lengths on their SBR without having to refill a Form 1. Ex. I have a 5" 9mm SBR and want to put a 7" or 9". It has been on my mind a couple of months but have not made the time to look it up or make some calls.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR15? If so, only have to notify the ATF if there is a permanent change to the configuration. For example, if you buy and swap in a 7" barrel and sell the 5" 9mm, then you obviously cannot change back to the configuration stated on the Form 1.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
May understanding was I doesn't matter as long as you had made it to your form 1 specs. It's going to get longer anyway, never heard of ATF following people around asking for stamps with a tape measure in hand.....

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A permanent change of barrel length requires notification to the batf. Swapping barrels is considered a permanent change. If you are swapping complete uppers and retain possession of the original upper then it is not a permanent change. This is if we are talking about an AR.
And no, the batf dosent follow people around with tape measures. However, lets say you are pulled over for whatever, your car is searched, and some enterprising employee of the city, county, state decides to call the local atf office about the scary gun in your trunk. Then you may have a problem. Yes, very, very remote possibility, but one to consider all the same.

AmmoSpydr

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Though they may not run around with a tape measure, it is the fact of the matter. These days it seems to be all about what is in written text. If it is not on paper in some form, shape, or fashion then it does not exist. blah blah... Thanks for the info. Thanks CAR-AR... for the link.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A permanent change of barrel length requires notification to the batf. Swapping barrels is considered a permanent change. If you are swapping complete uppers and retain possession of the original upper then it is not a permanent change. This is if we are talking about an AR.
And no, the batf dosent follow people around with tape measures. However, lets say you are pulled over for whatever, your car is searched, and some enterprising employee of the city, county, state decides to call the local atf office about the scary gun in your trunk. Then you may have a problem. Yes, very, very remote possibility, but one to consider all the same.

How does this scenario play out if the original upper is at home?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No idea Hump. I see it going one of several directions depending on which way the wind was blowing, humidity, before or after the agent's morning coffee, and level of their sexual frustration.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does this scenario play out if the original upper is at home?

I was questioned by the Arkansas State Police once about 20 years ago when I was in Arkansas at a friends range with my Remington 870 AOW. It was registered with a 14" barrel, but at the time I had a 12.5" barrel on it and the 14" barrel was back in Oklahoma. The Arkansas State Trooper had no idea what an AOW was so he ended up calling up his supervisor who then called it in to ATF to verify it. Neither the State Police or the ATF cared what length barrel was on it, just that it was registered. YMMV

Latest posts

Top Bottom