Battle of my steel .22lr revolvers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday took 2 of my rimfire revolvers to the range. My 4 inch, 6 shot, S&W 617; and my 4 inch, 6 shot Colt Diamondback (waited a long time for this one). Both revolvers shoot better than I can.

The S&W is heavier (stainless steel); the Colt has a better D/A trigger -- accuracy wise, both are about the same.

The finish on my Colt leaves a lot to be desired; according to the Colt database, my Diamondback was manufactured in 1968, if you look close its showing its age, just like most stuff made in 1968 that have been used.

Colt Diamondback 1.jpg
Colt Diamonback 2.jpg
S&W 617 -1.jpg
S&W 617-2.jpg

The S&W isn’t a spring chicken, but fun to shoot.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Colt came with Colt marked factory grips, I like the Pachmyar factory grips; had an issue with S&W grips OSA helped me thru. These came with S&W marked, Hogue Target grips -- I like these better.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sent a Email to Colt customer service to see if there were any plans to make a King Cobra Target, .22lr -- didn’t think they would waist there time with the Python framed .22lr if the .357 are in high demand.

They replied, There are no current plans to build a King Cobra Target .22lr.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice brace of arms there! I’m a huge fan. Quick story: I wanted a 617 for quiet some years. I was expecting a nice bonus, so put an affirmative bid on gunbroker, one that was good for the seller and good for me (thinking I’d get outbid but over reserve). Anyways, I’m laying in the ER with a stroke (racking up the bills) when the email notification came in that I had “won” said 10 shot 617. I was like “great.” My wife says “WHAT?!?” You know how they get. I told her. She just rolled her eyes. She’s a trooper and a keeper. She paid the shop the money right away. It was waiting for me a few days after I got out of St Francis. :hey3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom